when a scribbled heart can fix a broken one

"Habits of my Heart - Jaymes Young"

"You get too close, you make it hard to let you go."

~

Three days later and Klaus was gone. The cracks were still there. In my heart. In fact, it was split in two. I'd spent the first night in bed: sleeping and crying. It was a constant cycle. The second day I spent the day in bed again: eating and crying. It was a constant cycle. The third day I went downstairs: The Notebook, eating and crying. A constant cycle.

Today was the fourth day and a bit of optimism flickered on in my brain, like a light bulb. I was going to visit Bonnie. I dragged myself out of bed at twelve and hopped in the shower. After I was done I sat down at my mirror and looked at my reflection for the first time in four days. I was pale and had deathly bags under my eyes. Nothing a little makeup can't solve. I breathed slowly and pulled out the first draw under my mirror. A letter. With the messily scribbled heart. Klaus. That's when it hit me.

"Check the draw under your mirror tonight and think."

His words came back to me as I ripped open the envelope. A letter fell out first and I hurriedly opened it.

Caroline,
If you've found this then our goodbye didn't go as well as I had planned in my head. However, you probably know that I have returned to New Orleans. If you're crying right now then keep reading. If you hate me then still keep reading. I was thinking back to our conversations in the room you are in right now. Discussing how I would take you all over the world and how you want to go to New York and Disneyworld. And that you want to go to Thailand and ride elephants before going to Japan and eating lots of sushi. And how you'd force me to wear a kimono in China. You know I'd take you to Europe, drink tea in England, visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris, go to the south of France, Italy, Greece, Germany. Plus, I said I wanted to show you the Caribbean. I think you're ready for the life I want to give you. Make you feel alive. Look in the envelope and think.
Love, Klaus.

The tears were back. They travelled down my face but instead of flowing to my chin, they went to my smile lines. I was smiling, and then I was laughing, and I was in love. I shook the envelope and a ticket fell out. First class to New Orleans. It left today. I had 8 hours before I got on that plane. And I was going to get on that plane. And I was going to see my love again. And I was going to live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was stumbling up the stairs of the Salvatores porch, lugging my suitcase behind me. I had texted Bonnie, Elena, Stefan, Damon and Matt telling them to come to the house and wait for me. It was urgent. Clumsily, I tripped up the last step and knocked on the door using my, not entirely, free hand. I'd wiped the tears away but It was impossible to wipe the smile off my face. Stefan opened it and looked at me with a confused expression, as I dumped my large suitcase, a duffel bag and my handbag onto the floor. Oh and my head pillow. I couldn't forget that.

"What is going on Care?" Bonnie asked, advancing on me.
"I'm leaving." I sung, skipping towards where the rest of them sat.
"Who, what, when, where, why, how?" Damon spat as he joined in on the weird looks I was getting.
"You may all get very angry for this but let me explain. I'm going to New Orleans to be with Klaus." I winced as yells of argument and disbelief came from every angle.

"Stop!" I yelled causing everyone to quiet down. "Let me explain. So, you could probably all tell that me and Klaus were getting closer and bonding, shall we say, over the course of the stay here. Elena and Bonnie both heard about my feelings first hand during our time here. I was slowly falling for him but I didn't know what my feelings actually were. Then he left and went back to New Orleans and one of the last things he said was "Look in the top draw under the mirror and think." I forgot about it until today. Over the last few days I was broken and finally realised, after pushing it back for so long, that I am in love with Klaus." I heard grunts of discomfort and annoyance but I chose to ignore them.

"I was in pain after he left before I remembered what he said. I checked the draw and he left me a letter and a ticket to New Orleans. Guys I understand that you won't approve but I let him get away once. An-and I think my heart will just stop if I let that happen again." The tears were back as my story came to a stuttered end. It was a while, almost too long before anyone said anything. Bonnie was first to speak.

"I for one, have, and always will stick by your decisions Caroline. I just want you to be happy. Remember to visit a lot and write to me okay?" She was smiling and crying at the same time, as she wrapped me up in her arms.
"My love for you Bonnie Bennett is indescribable." I cried and sent her back the warmest smile I could produce.

Next was Stefan.
"Caroline. I love you and I know what it feels like to loose someone the moment you get feelings for them. I just want you to do what you need to be happy, and always come and visit us." Stefan was next to hug me and whispered in my ear. "Thank you. For everything." And I knew exactly what he meant.

Damon stood up and looked straight in my eyes. "I'll miss you Barbie. I can't really give you a lecture on the bad guy, I mean have you met me?" He smirked and gave me a long hug, which I enjoyed. Damon and I were never that close but I cared very deeply for him.
Matt followed and was already crying.
"Damn, the Mikaelsons are good." He laughed, pulling me in for a huge hug. "Take care of yourself, Care. Be safe."

There was another hour of discussion about my plans, before I realised the time. Elena hadn't said anything.
"I've really got to go now guys."  I hinted, slowly walking towards the door. "Any last goodbyes should be said now." I continued as everyone came in for a group hug and said they're byes. Elena continued to stare into the fireplace. She wasn't going to say goodbye.

I opened the door and put one foot out the door when I felt small arms around me. Relief and happiness filled my heart as I spun around and hugged Elena back. I was now full on sobbing.

"I could never let you go without a goodbye. You're my best friend Caroline, no matter who you're in love with. I love you so much, I don't know what I'm going to do without you." She was crying too and her eyes were filled with a thousand sorrys. "I am so sorry." She spluttered and I forgave her, with no second thoughts. She is my best friend.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N
TWO MORE CHAPTERS! I REPEAT 2 MORE CHAPTERS!! We're close to the end and I just want to thank you guys again and again for getting me to this place, I've gotten over 600 views and that means so much to me so thank you!
Secret message that I shouldn't be saying yet but, who would like a sequel to this? Comment below so I know or I won't write it, I just need to know if you want it!

I love you all <3