and complex love outlives the simple

"Your Man - Down with Webster"

"If you want me girl, I will be here forever."

~

"Since you are so special to me." Were the first words I thought of the moment my eyes flashed open. My face immediately reacted with a smile. A smile that was filled with an abundance of memories. Each one I clung onto, filling my heart with happiness. As I turned over I noticed the absence of Klaus. Instead of him lying there, he was replaced with a note. I picked it up. On the front of it was a messily scrawled heart. I laughed. No matter how good of an artist Klaus was, he needed to work on his hearts. I opened it and carefully began to take in each word.

Caroline,
I'm sorry for my disappearance this morning but I thought it would be for the best. We don't want any wanderers to find us, especially for your sake. I'll see you later for the next game. Thank you for last night.
Love, Klaus.

A giggle slipped from my lips as I started to get ready for the day. I think a good session of spilling my heart out to my best friends was long overdue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while later Bonnie and Elena scuttled into my room.
"Hey Care. What was it you wanted to talk about?" Elena asked as they both bounced onto my bed, making themselves comfortable.
"I just thought we needed a good, old heart to heart. We haven't had one in a while and there's a couple of things I need to run past you guys." I start, I knew I had to tell them about my unknown and unspecified feelings for Klaus, but I just had to ease into it.

"First topic on the agenda: Bonnie and Kol, what is happening there?" I wink in the direction of Bonnie as Elena giggles, and the witches cheeks start to blush.
"What are you talking about?" Bonnie tried to hide before Elena whacked her over the head with a pillow.
"Come on Bon. We can both see and hear your constant flirting, obvious stares and I noticed you both took a shot the other night." Elena blurted looking at me for backup. I enthusiastically nod as Bonnie spills out her emotions.
"Fine. Yes. I like Kol. So what? He's hot, funny, caring. I just don't know how he feels about me. That's the end of it."
"Are you kidding? He's totally infatuated with you. I see the way he looks and talks about you. He has to make a move soon, before I make him." I joke just waiting for them to ask what else I wanted to talk about. And here it came.

"What was the other thing you wanted to talk about?" Elena asked not having a clue what was about to come. I waited for a minute before stuttering.
"Well, um, speaking of original vampires..." I looked up at them and saw Elena fidget around. I felt my stomach crumble in on itself knowing exactly how she'd react. Bonnie on the other hand gave me an encouraging nod.
"More specifically. A dirty blonde, with a smirk and nice eyes. Klaus." I noticed how Elena and I both winced at his name. For different reasons, obviously.
"Yes." Elena spat. "What about him."

"Well, you guys know about when I confessed that I had feelings for him in the woods. I thought I had forgotten and buried those feelings in the time he was gone. But then the other week, when he opened the door I just felt them all rush back. I've been spending a lot more time with him during the days here. I know how you'll react to this and for good reason. I can't keep trying to hide my feelings because they will explode. I'm afraid they already have. I still don't know how exactly I feel about him but I know those feelings are strong. I can just feel myself falling for him deeper everyday." The words just fell out of my mouth like a waterfall, I couldn't stop them. Just like my feelings for Klaus. I had no control.

Frozen in my spot, I waited. I waited for a long time before any reaction. It was a harsh slap to the face. At least it felt like that.
"I can't believe you Caroline. Could you be anymore self-absorbed? Think. Just think about all he's done to torture all of us. He tried to kill me. He killed Jenna. He drove Tyler out of town and wouldn't let him return. He stabbed you, bit you. He b-" Elena was cut off, but not by me.
"ENOUGH."