like a heart is broken when it is crushed

"Please Don't Go - Joel Adams"

"I think of you whenever I'm alone, so please don't go."

~

It was a week later. A week since Katherine died in Stefans arms. We were all shocked in different ways. A few people didn't care. A few were even happy. But the person who concerned me most was Stefan. He pretended he was fine, but I could see that the usual light in his eyes was covered by a fog of darkness. He was using a mask to hide his true feelings. I spent most of the week talking to him. Consoling him. Even though he said he didn't want my help, I knew he was grateful.

Everyone had stayed in town during this time. Not because they wanted to, but I think the shock rattled everyone and left them frozen in place. I hadn't spoken to Klaus much but that was the top of my to do list. So, early Monday morning I got ready, physically and emotionally, to see him.

Standing outside the Mikaelson house was already pretty intimidating, but it was even worse that I could hear yelling from inside. I quickly knocked, not wanting my fear to take the wheel and spin me right back round. It was Elijah that opened the door. He looked agitated and tired.
"Hi, I'm here for Klaus." I smiled, waiting for him to invite me in.
"I thought as much. He isn't home right now, he said he has to go deliver a letter, but he should be back soon. You can wait if you like." Elijah motioned for me to enter and I eagerly stepped inside. "Oh, and you'll have to excuse the yelling. Matt came for a visit."
"What? Matt is here?" I asked, my pulse slightly rising in worry.
"I think him and Rebekah have some unfinished business." Elijah said, his smooth voice laced with amusement and he headed upstairs. Leaving me alone and with nothing to do but eavesdrop. I know I should stop but it's become a habit.

"So you're just going back to New Orleans? Without a goodbye?" A person I assumed was Matt yelled.
"Last time I checked you wanted NOTHING to do with me or my kind." I'm guessing Rebekah, retorted.
"You know I care for you Rebekah, a lot." I could hear his voice was intoxicated with sadness, but as Matt does, he tried to hide it with anger.
"That's not good enough when I'm so madly in love with you, yet you can't even look me in the face." My heart sunk as I heard Rebekah's tears fall. I could hear them so loudly, that they could almost be rain drops on the window pane.
"That's not true Rebekah. I'm in love with you too. I fall harder and harder everyday but I can't love someone that will still be the same person, when I'm in a care home." Now Matt was crying too. I felt my instincts kick in and I just wanted to run upstairs, hug them both and help them. I fought it and kept listening to the conversation.
"That doesn't have to happen. We can spend the next years together, living a perfectly normal life. We can travel like we did last summer. Enjoy the simple pleasures. You know that all I ever wanted and I wouldn't want to spend those moments with anyone other than you." I sympathised with Rebekah. She just wants a normal, human life. She wants love, she wants a family.
"Screw this. I'm done fighting." Matt had calmed down and the words almost rolled off his tongue. That's when it went quiet. I knew what had happened. Matt had kissed her.

I smiled and felt happy. Everyone around me were finally getting everything they wanted. The people I love were falling in love for themselves. My thoughts were interrupted.
"Thank you for watching another episode of Rebekah Mikaelson: Trying to find love in a cruel, cruel world." It was Klaus. I picked a pillow up and lobbed it at him.
"Don't tease." I whisper, hoping Rebekah doesn't hear us talking about her love life, otherwise Matt wouldn't be the only one getting a piece of her mind today.
"I see I'm not the only one who was eavesdropping." Klaus smirked and he walked closer to me. "What is the reason for the unexpected visit love?" I was dreading discussing our future but it had to be done, I had to know if this was going to be anything.
"Well, I just wanted to discuss - us." I finish my sentence in a quieter voice as he raised his eyebrows.
"So there's an us now?" He teased and I scoffed, throwing another pillow his way.
"Shut up." I leant my elbows on my thighs and he came and sat down next to me. My pulse increased. I was clearly not over the crush phase.
"Caroline I want there to be an us more then anything." He started, grabbing both my hands. "But I'm going back to New Orleans tonight." My heart suddenly stopped and I stood up.
"What?" I whispered. I was in disbelief. "After all of this. After all the time we spent together. You're just leaving." Tears began to deface my vision. Angry tears mixed with sad tears, swirled around my eyes.
"Check the draw under your mirror tonight and think. I didn't want to leave. Although, I have duties to fulfil at home, I want to spend my time with you but I have to leave." He raised his thumb to wipe away my tears but I swatted it away.
"Save the crappy apologises Klaus. I should've listened to Elena. I guess this is goodbye." I tried to stay strong but after the word "goodbye" slipped from my mouth, so did the tears from my eyes. I turned and ran, ignoring the calls from Klaus. He tried to run after me but I got in my car and sped off. I didn't look back.

As soon as I reached my house, I broke down in tears. They wriggled from my eyes, down my face and dropped onto the wheel of my car. Without thinking I raised my fist and smashed it onto the wheel, I wanted the tears to go. I wanted to not feel anything for Klaus. I wished that I didn't care. But I did.

I didn't know I loved him when he flirted with me. I didn't know I loved him when he taught me how to feel alive. It didn't know I loved him when he sent me gifts. I didn't know I loved him when he said I was special. I didn't even know I loved him when he said it to me first. All it took, for me to know I loved him, was for him to break me.

I was broken. Like a plate you accidentally drop when washing the dishes. Like a bone you break when being dangerous. Like a family is split when someone betrays the others. Like a heart is broken when it's crushed.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N
Oops, sorry. I guess my finger slipped, or I just wanted to be evil again? Guys I think we have two chapters left??? That's so crazy! Please continue to read because I loved writing this book and we have 500 views, what is life? Thank you so much, I love you

<3