Fourteen

Samuel Fredrick. His name repeats over and over in my brain. We might know who killed my best friend, but I still feel... unsatisfied. Why hadn't the police looked for fingerprints like I had? I try to convince myself that it's because they forgot because they already assumed it was me. No one thought to look for them at the time, I guess.

That's not the only thing on my mind though. What are we going to do when Lawrence and I finally do go to Samuel's house, what are we gonna do? See what he looks like? See what flowers he has planted in his front yard? Stupid. We should come up with some kind of plan, but Lawrence fell asleep about twenty minutes ago. 

I watch him as his chests lifts up then falls back. His face looks so... at ease. Usually he has a smirk or a scowl marking his features, but not now. His eyes are shut, his eyelashes lightly caressing his cheeks. His mouth is slightly slack, hanging open. He's wrapped up in a ball, his legs bent against his chest with one hand under his head, the other wedged between his chest and his legs. I lie down on my back next to him, staring at the sky. The darkening sky makes the white wisps of clouds look more prominent. I make out figures. Shapes. People. A triangle. A bear. Amy...

My eyes start to sting, but I suppress it and turn on my side, facing away from Lawrence. I begin to think about what Lawrence and I are going to do when we get to Samuel's house. We could look in his window. See if he's hiding bodies in there or something. I'm so deep in thought that I barely feel Lawrence wrap his arms around my waist, pulling himself against me. I melt into his chest as he holds me there, not moving. He buries his face in my neck, breathing inwardly. 

"Are you smelling me?"

"Maybe."

"How discreet of you," I say sarcastically.

"What're you thinking about?"

"Tonight," I answer simply. "What are we gonna do? Walk up to his front door and knock saying 'Hey! We think you murdered my best friend about a year ago, do you happen to want to admit to it so we can throw you behind bars? Thanks for your time!'" I say, overly enthusiastic. Lawrence laughs, making me shiver involuntarily at the angelic sound. 

"I was thinking, we could break in," Lawrence offers.

I turn in his arms to face his tired looking face. "Are you insane?" I ask.

"Just a little bit," he smiles, pulling me impossibly closer to him.

"Don't worry," I smile, "so am I."

"I know this sounds completely ridiculous, but you are the greatest thing in my life right now," Lawrence admits, his face slowly inching towards mine. My eyes glance from his lips to his eyes.

"Would it be crazy if I agreed?" I ask.

"No, but you know what would be crazy?"

"What?"

"If you you didn't kiss me right now. Before I can even process his words, his lips are on mine. Frankly, I couldn't care less

~*~

Night has fallen and the whole town seems to be buzzing about this damn basketball game. Everyone is already packed shoulder-to-shoulder in Paul's bar, beers in their hands, anticipating the long awaited game. 

"Dude, this is crazy," I remark, looking around at the endless line of people and traffic. 

"I know. I hope we make it to this dude's house before he gets back," he comments. I glance at Lawrence and raise my eyebrow. He looks... jumpy. Not jumpy as if you are nervous but, anxious. I place my hand on his bicep - the one with the tattoo - and shake him lightly. His bright grey-blue eyes peer over at me then back to the road. It seems like he's either avoiding any question I have or he's overly excited to get to this guy's house.