Sixteen

I insisted on staying with Dana a little bit longer, but she told me to leave or she wouldn't talk to me again. When I walk out to the parking lot, Jared is still waiting patiently. I run up to the passenger side door and sit down. Jared looks at me, curiosity in his eyes.

"I was just visiting a friend, but I need you to bring me somewhere," I state.

"Where?"

"Elton Smith High School," I answer quickly. I buckle my seat belt and glance up at Jared who is just staring at me like I'm crazy. "We're not gonna get there just sitting here, let's go!"

Jared shakes his head and starts the car. We drive away from the detention center and off to the high school. I silently hope that he'll be there. As much as I hate him, I need to know what he knows about Amy's death. The whole happening yesterday, it's still not clear to me. Did he lead me there to tell me that? Is that why he was so anxious when we were finding the fingerprints? 

My head begins to hurt from all of the questions. I just hope that he's there so I can ask him the questions I've wanted answers to since Amy died. I can finally get closure.

Eventually, we pull up into the parking lot of Elton Smith High School. Not many cars are parked here, but the only vehicle that catches my eye is the motorcycle sitting in the front. Jared parks in a spot away from most of the cars, and looks over at me.

"Do you want me to stay?" he asks.

I shake my head. "No, I'm good. I call you if I need you."

"You don't have a phone," he points out.

"I'll figure it out," I assure him. He nods and I pat his hand before climbing out of his car. I wave to him as he drives from the school, disappearing down the long road. I turn to face the school and sigh. I really don't want to be here.

Dale should be back from the wedding and support group should be in session right about now. Support group has been the last thing on my mind lately. My family along with it. But for the time being, I'm facing this problem. My parents are a different story. One I don't want to read right now. The characters aren't really on my good side at the moment.

I walk quickly up to the front of the school and push open the glass door. I run through the halls and when I reach the auditorium door, I barge in and run the the stage where everyone is waiting. All of the kids and Dale look at me like I killed someone.

"Sorry, I was visiting someone," I say through the awkward silence.

"No problem," Dale answers. "Who were you visiting?"

"Uh, just a friend from JDC," I reply, sitting in my usual chair. He's here. I can feel his piercing stare on the side of my face. I don't dare look at him. It would hurt too much. I can't bare that kind of pain at the moment. Afterwards, he's gonna see the lights of hell.

"Did you meet her in JDC?" Dale asks. I know his question is just to break the silence, he already knows I met her there. No one goes in with their best friend. Only if you have luck on your side. Which is highly unlikely since you are in a damn detention center.

"Yeah, her name's Dana. She was put in for stealing. Fourteen when she was put in. Stole from a Tiffany and co."

"Wow, impressive," Dale laughs. "Is she a good kid?"

"She's like my best friend," I answer quietly. I glance at Lawrence whose face shows nothing but sadness and regret. Good. That's what he should feel. He put me in this position.

"Alrighty then, today we will be going through our usual routine of tell us your name and why you are in. We have a new member today," Dale state proudly. All eyes shift to a boy sitting in the chair opposite from Dale. He's a young boy, maybe fourteen. He has shaggy red hair and a face full of freckles. His bright green eyes make up most of his face, looking like a bug. Not that that's a bad thing, it suits him. He's leaning in his chair like he own the place, a smirk plastered to his thin lips.

"Would you like to start?" Dale asks.

"Sure," the boy smiles.

So, his name is Nathan Fraid and he's turning fifteen in July. Basically, he was thrown into hell for hot wiring a Mustang outside of a car dealership. He then proceeded to crash it into a Walmart. What a genius. Support group ends and I run after Lawrence who is already halfway out the door. 

"Lawrence!" I call after him. Lawrence freezes in his tracks, not turning to face me. I stop behind him, leaving a good five feet between us. I'm not risking him touching me. Lawrence lets out a sigh before turning to face me. He looks tired and worn out. I feel a slight pang of guilt thinking that I caused it. But it fades faster than when it came. He did this, not me.

"I need answers," I state calmly, "now."

"Ser, can we do this somewhere else?" he pleads.

"No, I'd rather stay out in the open where everyone can see us. You know, being cautious considering your family tree," I hiss.

"Fine," he agrees. He sits down on a bench lined on the complete glass wall. I sit down next to him, sitting crisscrossed so I can watch him.

"You can start now," I say, no remorse in my voice.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"I don't know, the beginning? If you start to read from the middle of a book you'll never understand what's going on. So I think the beginning sounds like a great idea," I say. My words fly out, harsh and mean, but I don't care. I'm mad. I can't stress that enough. What he did, is unforgivable. He played me, and he let me suffer. Not cool.

"Okay. So, it all started last year..."