Twenty Nine

To say that the chief's face is priceless is an understatement. He looks astounded. Like I told him that the zombie apocalypse has begun and I started it. He sends the desk lady a sideways glance before returning them to me.

"Go on."

I face away from him so I can look over at Lawrence who is watching the conversation unravel. My lips pull into a small smile and I nod for him to walk over. As he does, I place my attention back on the cheif.

"This is Lawrence Eastwood. He is Samuel's nephew." And I leave it at that. I step away and allow Lawrence to tell his side of the story. I don't know if Lawrence will get in trouble for not admitting what he saw that night. I don't know if I will get in trouble for blackmailing a public authority figure and then proceeding to electrocute the shit out of him. All I know is, is that no matter what happens to Lawrence and me, Sam will be in Folsom, rotting away like the scum that he is.

"May I see the recording?" I hear the cheif ask. I grab the recording and place into in his hands in which he proceeds to listen to everything that it picked up. As the recording plays, I refuse to meet the chief's eyes as he watches me expectantly. The recording ends and the look on the cheif face is... shocking.

"We'll send some officers over. He will be arrested then brought in for questioning."

"What if he denies your accusations?" Lawrence asks from beside the cheif.

"There would be no point because we have all the proof we need on here," he answers, shaking the small box between his forefinger and thumb.

"Melanie," the cheif addresses the desk lady, "send out officers to the Juvenile Detention Center for Female Youth and tell them that Raymond Middleton is to be found."

"Will do."

"Everything will be taken care of. If you want, you can wait here until Samuel is retrieved and-"

"I want to go with them," I cut off. The cheif sends me a look and suddenly I am uncomfortable with my request.

"Excuse me?"

"That's man killed my best friend. I think I have a right to see him in hand cuffs." The cheif watches me, his intense gaze studying me like the Mona Lisa. We both know the request is a long shot, but is it really? I think I deserve the chance to see this asshole get thrown into the shit hole like he did to me. A thought pops in my head. A sneaky question that I have yet to think about.

"Fine, but let the police do the dirty work," the cheif answers, and he stalks away to his office.

"Come on, I'll drive you to the center so you won't have to ride with the others. I'll drop you off at Lawrence's bike after." I nod and grab Lawrence's hand, leading him to Sharon's car.

~*~

The drive to the center is nerve wracking. Silent and nerve wracking. Officers were sent out minutes after we left, so when we arrive at the center, officers are pulling in not seconds after us. They rush past us into the building, so I run in after them. They head towards Sam's office and I am close behind.

I stop a few doors down from his office where the officers are charging into. A few screams and groans later, Sam is being dragged out of the room. I walk up to him, fuming.

"Wait," I instruct the officers. They don't object, I guess it's weird seeing a teenage girl ordering you around. "Sam, I have a few questions for you."

Sam glares at me, pure hate in his eyes. Likewise man, likewise. I get up really close to his face, close enough that I can smell the stink of his breath. I'm not scared because he's handcuffed and the officers are holding him in place.