Epilogue

*6 years later*

I'm running. My feet move at the speed of light, and my surroundings mold into one big blob of nothing. Fear rushes through me like a tidal wave. It covers me and is drowning me, but I run and run and run.

He's chasing me. A knife in his hand. A murderous look on his face. He's coming for me and I'm scared. All I can do is run.

I feel my energy wear thin. I'm slowing down. My feet feel as if they are being filled with lead.

"No! Go faster!" I scream into the nothingness. He's only a foot from me now. I feel the air moving as he wields his knife wildly behind me. I can't go any faster. He leaps and everything is black.

And then it's not.

I wake up with a violent jerk and all I hear are my desperate screams. I stop once I see Lawrence next to me, watching me worridly. I take in short and shallow breaths as I lie down on Lawrence's chest. I told him whenever I have a night terror just to let it end. I don't get them as often now, but when I do get them, they are the worst nightmares imaginable.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Don't apologize. It's not your fault."

"I'm the reason you're not sleeping. I just... wish I couldn't dream."

"I'd rather be sleepless next to you than sleepless away from you," Lawrence tells me. I trace my fingers on his bare stomach which makes Lawrence involuntarily shiver. I laugh lightly and I plant a kiss on his collarbone. Lawrence grips my arm, pulling me back slightly.

"Don't tease me, Ser."

"Tease you? Oh, I wouldn't think of it." I kiss him lightly on his jaw and suddenly I am thrown underneath him, his tall figure looming over me. He leans in dangerously close to me, his breath fanning my neck.

"I warned you."

"And I ignored you," I reply, and just like that, we are two hearts, molding into one.

~*~

Lawrence left for work about an hour ago. He is a lawyer now, but he still owns the café  which he visits every other day. He wished me luck with my new job. Lord knows I'm going to need it.

"I don't think that you should have taken this job," Dana states from behind me. I sigh in response as I throw my uniform over my shoulders. I button the front of the uniform and I examine myself in the mirror. I never thought I would be able to wear this. The uniform I never thought I would earn. I went to college. I got my degree and I went through training. I didn't think I would have been allowed to go through college and training because I got my GED and not my degree. Thankfully, Sharon pulled a few strings and I was qualified.

I am now the new edition of the Sacramento Police Department.

"Dana, I got the job for a reason. I want to help people. Take care of them like Sharon did for us."

"But, you still have P.T.S.D, Ser. Your therapist said putting yourself in situations that could be triggering-"

"I could develop depression. I know. But think about it, Dana. I am the therapist. I don't have to go anywhere near the office. I'll just stick to my path and live my life."

Dana gives me a doubtful look. I can't believe little fourteen year old Dana is now turning twenty one. She has grown into a beautiful and successful young woman and she has really turned her life around. She now owns her own jewelery shop; ironically enough.

"Dana, trust me. Sharon will be there the whole time to help me out. If I start to feel a panic attack coming on, I will have you on the phone in an instant," I promise. Doubt is still present in her blue eyes, but she nods anyway. I smile lightly and turn to go to the door. Dana will be leaving to go to work shortly after me, so I leave her to watch the news.

The early morning air wraps around me like a comforting blanket and my lungs fill with hope. Hope for the future. I'm not scared. Sam has been in Folsom for six years. Thankfully, he was sentenced for life. A life that I had briefly experienced a lifetime ago. I step into my car and drive off.

~*~

The building in front of me hasn't changed. It doesn't taunt me anymore. It's tattooed on my past and it's one I will never regret. It gave me the person I love most because had I not been put into JDC, I wouldn't have gone to the support group and I never would have met Lawrence. I love that. But even worse is that if Amy didn't die, I wouldn't have met Lawrence either.

That's what tears me in half. I hate dwelling on it, but how could I not? I got an amazing person, but to get them, I had to lose another amazing person. It's a messed up process.

And messed up it will always be.

I abandon my car in a parking space and I walk carefully up to the front door. My fingers hesitate over the handle and I begin to hyperventilate. I hold my hand to my chest and I stop to take a moment. My eyes shut and I calm the tiniest bit.

Suddenly, Amy's face pops into my vision. An image of her painting her nails with bright ruby red nail polish. I miss her. I wonder what she would look like now. Memories of her as her lively teenage self finds its way across my mind and her smile eases me. I wonder how mature she would have become.

As my body relaxes, so do I. Mentally of course.

I lift myself and I resume my place at the door. Without hesitation this time, I open the door and let myself in. I walk along the long corridor, keeping my eyes from the dreaded office, and walk into the small room before the cell hall. Sharon is standing patiently by the door and when she sees me, she looks like she is going to cry.

I extend my arms not-so-gracefully at my sides, gesturing to my outfit. Sharon places her hand over mouth, a proud look evident in her eyes. She walks over to me, and embraces me in a wholehearted hug.

"I made it," I tell her quietly.

"That you did. That you did."

"I'm nervous..."

"Don't be! The girls now are different than they were when you were here. They are ruthless. There's no escaping that, but they are more, well... in line. You'll have no problem."

"Okay."

I take in a deep breath, my lungs fill with hope and exhale fear. I'm ready. My eyes find Sharon's and she leads me through the door into the dark cell hall. No light is in the room, so I can't see a damn thing.

Sharon nudges me from my right side, telling me to wake them up. I lift my hand to the wall next to me and I find the light switch. Before turning it on, I take in a pride filled breath to speak.

"Alright, ladies, rise and shine."

~*~

That's the epilogue! That's it. That was Unlike You. I hope you enjoyed. I enjoyed writing it!

I love and appreciate everyone who reads. Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm going to go edit and then work on my next story!!

Byeee!

<3