Twenty Four

Bianca has been quiet the entire walk back to the cafe. The sky is still dark, not being early enough for the sun to come up. The cafe comes into view finally and I proceed to lead Bianca toward it. I open the door quietly and step inside with Bianca at my side.

It's still dark and no one has seemingly woken up, except for the fact that Lawrence is no where to be seen. I shrug it off and guide Bianca towards the patch of carpet where I was attempting to sleep earlier. I grab an extra throw pillow and blanket from the couch and place them on the floor. Bianca crawls underneath the blanket and shuts her eyes.

"Sleep well," I whisper and walk away to let her sleep. I pad quietly towards the kitchen so I can get something to eat. Suddenly, I feel a hand over my mouth to muffle the scream that comes from my throat. I hear a deep chuckle from behind me which has my elbow flying backward into their stomach.

"Asshole," I grumble after Lawrence takes his hand off my mouth. He laughs again, clearly amused by the situation.

"Where'd you go?"

"For a walk," I answer simply, grabbing a flashlight so I can rummage through the boxes of granola bars and apple sauce containers. I settle on a peanut butter granola bar and perch myself on the counter. Lawrence walks over, standing in front my knees.

"It's three a.m., Ser. Who's that girl you brought back?"

"Bianca. I found her in the pharmacy, alone. She's young and she needs sleep so she's out there now," I explain briefly, taking a bite of my granola bar right after. I sigh as the taste fills my mouth.

"You are too cute." He grabs the granola bar from my hand and I groan in protest.

"Jerk! Give it back!" I whisper yell.

"Trade?"

"What could you possibly want?" I ask.

In seconds, Lawrence's warms lips are pressed firmly against mine. Okay, I can roll with this. I laugh and push on his heaving chest. A dopey smile lies effortlessly on his lips as his eyes stare at mine.

"As much as I love kissing you, we should find out when the best time to out your uncle is," I say, lying back onto the cool counter. Lawrence groans and leans his head against the metal beside me making me giggle quietly.

"How about next week?" he offers.

"Why?"

"Because I want to stop thinking about it for a while."

"No, we can't. What if he gets his next victim in the next week?"

"Ugh, fine."

"How about after we find Bianca's parents?" I say. Lawrence kisses just above my belly button and nods in agreement. I flick his forehead and sit up once again.

"Ser?"

"Yeah."

"What if something goes wrong? What if you get hurt?" he asks, his words shaky. I sigh, cupping his cheek with my hand. A small smile falls on my face as I look into his beautiful eyes.

"May the better criminal win, I guess."

~*~

Day light shines bright through the dirt covered windows. Everyone has woken up and left to go home. The streets are cluttered and it's not safe to drive. I find Bianca on the same patch of carpet that I left her on a few hours before. I step over to her and sit down in a criss cross position next to her sleeping form. I look at her, my focus only on her face. Her small face is slack and in a seemingly uncomfortable position, but you know, whatever works for you. She looks so... innocent and vulnerable. I dread the day that society destroys that.

Not able to stand the thought any longer, I gently place my hand on her shoulder and shake her slightly. Her eyes flutter open and they reach up to meet mine.

"Hi," she says, her voice hoarse from sleep.

"Hey. Are you ready to find your parents?" Her head lifts up then falls in response. I help her out of the blanket and walk her over to the counter where a chocolate chip muffin is waiting for her. Her eyes light up and she reaches for it. I allow her to savor the muffin and I walk over to Lawrence who is waiting by the window, gazing out at the street.

Once I'm close enough, I lay cheek against his shoulder and fix my eyes on one of the firemen who is aiding in the pick up of the streets. Lawrence doesn't look at me, he just stares and allows me to stand by his side.

"Are you ready?" I question. Lawrence takes in a deep breath and finally makes a move to look at me.

"No, but if you are, then I guess I have to be."

"Hey," I say in a soft voice, "I'll be alright. I know how he works. If I dig deep enough, I can get the man to say anything."

"Okay," he huffs.

~*~

We left the shop five minutes ago and now we are on a quest to find Bianca's parents. She hasn't really given us much to work with, so we're running on what little info we have.

"What are your parents names?"

"Carry and Darrel," she answers skipping three feet ahead of us. Lawrence is getting anxious and I need to get Bianca home... Like now.

"Helpful," Lawrence grumbles. I whip my arm around and hit Lawrence in the stomach, but he doesn't even flinch.

"She's like, seven. Okay, she doesn't know any better," I inform him.

"I was doing things at her age most don't," he comments.

"I don't want to hear it."

"If you only knew." Lawrence smirks at me before walking ahead and having a private conversation with Bianca. As the talk progresses, Lawrence steals glances back at me and looks back at Bianca. It's quite a show, I will admit. He looks genuinely pleased to be talking to her. Same goes for Bianca. Suddenly, both of them stop and Lawrence proceeds to pick her up and place her on his back. Her arms wrap loosely around his neck as his grab her short legs and place them firmly around his waist. I can't help the smile that falls on my face. It's too precious.

"Are you coming?" I hear Lawrence call. I shake my head and look up to see both of them a bit further ahead than before. I laugh and run up to meet them. As we walk, Bianca points out different things like oddly shaped clouds and firemen. Lawrence doesn't seem to be paying her any attention, while all of mine is on her. Whenever she points something out, I nod with a smile and agree with whatever she says.

"You know," Lawrence starts. His voice is low; I assume so Bianca doesn't hear. "This could be us someday."

"Be what?"

"A family."

******

Hey guys! Sorry I've been totally M.I.A. lately. I have a crap ton of stuff to do. You know like school and such. But hopefully the last few chapters of "Unlike You" will be up in a reasonable timeframe. I am so thankful for everyone who votes and comments. Thank you for enjoying the story.

I appreciate it.

Bye lovelies!