*Chapter One: Holding On Too Tight

Started October 29, 2016

"Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart."
-Haruki Murakami

Your p.o.v

I sat alone in my room, listening as my parents watched The World Bleeds Red. I could hear the screams of the movie. But, they seemed closer than usual. I took it as a bad sign. I grabbed my pillow and rushed into the closet.

As the screams died down I felt more anxious. What's happening out there? I thought. I crawled behind a pile of clothes that sat, covering the wall. I heard my door burst with a sudden creak along with the sound of my door hitting the wall. I pushed myself as far as I could go into the closet wall, careful not to breathe heavily. The person trudged into the room, and the drip of what I hoped to be water came in with him or her.

"Little girl. Come out. There's nothing to be afraid of." A man's voice carried a soft tone, but I didn't trust it.

I didn't make a sound, let alone move. The hard floor started to hurt my bones, but I was paralyzed. The closet doors jerked open, almost making me jump. I covered my mouth, to stop the scream from coming. I got a good look at the man's face, and the weaponry he was holding. The drips on the floor definitely weren't water, but a redder liquid that made me tremble.

"Come out wherever you are little girl. I know you're hiding. Don't be afraid, I'm here with you." His voice got closer, and closer.

My body started to shake. I could feel nothing but my heart beating out of my chest, and my lungs bursting, wanting to let go of the air I was holding in.

I heard the footsteps become distant, and a creaky door slowly closed. The sounds of sirens pierced my ears, along with the noise of smashed glass. A gunshot could be heard through all of this, with a shriek of pain.

"Wake up." A voice whispered.

"Wake up, y/n!" 

I open my eyes and see my best friend standing over me. She moves me up against the back of the bed and pats my head. I feel a slight breeze as the blankets move off me. I see I'm drenched in sweat and tears, then I look at Cassandra, who moves the blankets back up.

"What happened?" I ask, now feeling my dry mouth.

"You had a nightmare again. You were crying and screaming. I woke you up." She explains, bringing me a towel from the bathroom. I thank her and dry myself off.

"It was a messed up memory, not a nightmare Cassie." I frown, looking at the bathroom light.

I tell her everything that happened this time in the dream. Every time I dream of my parents death, it comes out a little different. But this time is the closest to the real thing. I was only five at the time, but I can remember it so vividly.

I look over to the bright clock. The shining blue numbers write 4:56am. I hop out of bed and throw myself into the kitchen. I move my fingers along the side of my apartment walls. Cassie  walks in and pulls out something from the microwave.

"It's my left over Pancakes from early. Eat up y/n." Cassie hands me the plate and a fork.

I nod graciously and think about the man from the nightmare. He looked only partly like the real man. It didn't make him any less scary though.