Chapter Five: Remeber me?

"The past beats inside me like a second heart." -John Banville

Mark's p.o.v

A light pierces my eyes lids, forcing me open them. To my surprise, the air is chilly, sending a shiver down my spine. I look around at the room I'm sitting in.  It isn't my normal room, and I can feel my heart start to thump a little faster each second. My mind clicks into place and I realize where I am and start to laugh. I'm in my basement bedroom.

It's not long before I stand and trudge towards my stairs. I always forget how cold my basement is in the morning. The weird thing is, I don't even know why I'm down here. The last place I remember being is at the park with Alyson. Shit Aly! I forgot she was going to stay here for the night. Where is she?

I run up the stairs, trying to think back to the day before. My mind just won't  cooperate.

Surprisingly, everything looks cleaner than it did before I left yesterday. I look over to my counter where my phone, keys, and the number I wrote down yesterday lie. I can see creases all over the page, and it's a bit torn on the edges. I decide to shrug it off and shrink into my seat. I must have grabbed it too quickly earlier.

I grab the lot of it and type the number into my phone, labeling it Mystery Girl. I figure I will call her again...sometime soon.

I hear groaning coming from a room down the hall. I bolt down there to see the closed door. I hesitate to knock, even though it has to Aly. I hear a woman's voice call that she's coming in a second. It has to be Aly!

I back away from the door, and go into my room. I change and grab my glasses from the counter. I walk out of my room and bump straight into Aly.  "Sorry." She says peppily, walking past me to the kitchen.

I inhale and follow her. I throw on a fake smile. I want to ask her what happened last night, but I'm not up for an awkward conversation. Not right now at least.  "So! How'd you sleep Mark? I slept wonderfully!" She exclaims, almost dancing into the kitchen.

"Good I guess. I have a headache though."
Aly starts to chuckle and places her hand on my forehead. I'm sure that my face shows pure confusion.

"Do you even remember what happened last night?" Aly's laughing stops when I shake my head. I can see hurt in her eyes. Her eyes growing glossy, she walks into her room, or runs is more like it.

She walks out with her bag, and says nothing more than, "I'm going home, you bastard." I run after her, but she's already out the door, into the cool September air. I know I can chase her further, but it's not worth it if I already know the end result. I just can't figure out what happened.

Your p.o.v

10 pm

11 pm

12 am

1 am

2 am

Dread hangs over me in my restless night. Going to work tomorrow is going to be a pain, especially since it's two A.M., and I have to get up in four hours.

I shut my eyes, trying to get a decent amount of sleep, but luck is not in my favor. I only sleep, for what seems like four minutes. Cassandra walks in my room. Seeing I'm already awake startles her.

"Y/n? What's up? Why are you awake already?" She ask in a concerning

"I set an alarm." I lie, feeling guilt in the pit of my stomach.

"I didn't hear anything. Man, I must be more tired than I thought." She laughs, walking out of the room. I release the breath I'm holding and turn on the lamp next to me. The room illuminates from the small light. It looks so different from the night before. I walk over to my closet and pull out my uniform.

I can feel the energy draining from my body already.  I drag myself into my bathroom. The mirror looks dirty,
reminding that I was supposed to clean
yesterday, which I didn't. I sigh and start to get ready.

Mark's POV

I sit down, trying as hard as I can to remember. I think at one point I even banged my head on a table to remember, but I can't even remember if I did that.

I felt a pain in my head as I smack it against the table...again.. I think. Suddenly, something clicks in my mind. My memories are released from their captivity, and flows back into my mind with one quick and painful movement.

Into the mind

I walked Alyson back to my house, where she was going to be staying. We had met up with a few people she knew when she lived here. I had no clue how cruel these people she talked so fondly of were. They were throwing rocks at windows when she ran up to them, arms wide open. I decided in that moment I would run away, but Aly... she pulled me in.

We walked over there, and I could feel something bubbling in my stomach. It wasn't a good feeling. She convinced them to walk away from the building, which I assumed they were going to rob, and went to a restaurant down the street.

When we got their, I sat down next to Aly. The other two on the other side of the table. My hands were shaking, till something warm was placed in them. Aly's hand.

We ate, well... I ate... rather quickly. I didn't feel the need to stay and chat with a bunch of criminals. Aly seemed to notice, and thank god for that. We walked out of there before the others could finish their meal.

"Is there any more of your friends I need to look out for?" I asked, a hint of anger lingering in my voice.

"No. They're all gone now." I looked over to Aly's face. No emotion came from her eyes, yet her face showed a smile. A large pit formed in my stomach. There all gone now? This was going to be a long, long night.

Continued in the next chapter.