Chapter Three: The Shop

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Your p.o.v

The shop isn't as busy as I thought it would be. A few people come here and there, but it's mainly empty. It makes me feel a bit better actually. There is only one person in the store at the moment, thankfully might I add. She walks around the store, barely looking at the clothes around her. She looks to be around the age of eighteen... it's around the time of a dance. She's probably looking for a dress.

"Do you need help with anything m'am?" I asked politely. She looks towards me, and stares for a second. She didn't seem particularly happy. She looks back at the clothes she's perched in front of than back at me again.

"I'm looking for a dress for the Fall Dance. Do you think you could help?" She asks, nodding her head. She seems uncomfortable in the store now. I take away from my spot and walk towards the girl. She follows me as I walk towards a different dresses area.

"These look like they would fit you better. I'm guessing your...around 18?"

She nods and started looking through things. I pulled out a blue dress and told her to try it on. It wasn't until now that I noticed someone else was in the store. I walked back to my station and waited to see what to do.

"Hello m'am. I'm looking for a suit." His voice is  deeper than I expected, but I keep in my emotions of surprise.

I get out from my post and walk over to the suits, waving him over. He follows me over and instantly starts looking through the pieces of clothing. I hear some screaming coming from the dressing rooms. I run over and knock on the door.

"Miss! Miss are you okay?" I yell through the door. There's no answer... but no one else came in the store.

I back up as the door opened. The girl walked out in the beautiful blue, sequin dress from earlier. I sigh in relief as I walk back to my post. She goes back in the room to get her stuff. Why did she scream? I ask my thoughts. Surprisingly, I see to see the man from before walk up to me without a suit. "Did you not find a suit?"  I ask positively, peppy almost.

He looks into my eyes for a moment than looks away. I turn my head and see the teenage girl rushing over. The guy moves out of the way for her.

"Okay so! Miss... Y/n... I would like to thank you for your amazing taste and I would like to buy this." She looks at my name tag and shoves the blue dress in my face.

I scan the dress whilst the girl says her name is Argentina. I smile and nod, putting the in a bag. I shove the bag into her hands, as she did with my face. "Well, thanks for shopping here Argentina! Your total is eleven flat." I say.

She nods and says some things about coming back sometime again if I was going to be there. I nod, knowing I will be here for the next few months to a year; depending on when I find another job. Argentina handed me twenty dollars and I insist that she keep the extra nine; which she denies. I watch her, skipping on her way out; making me laugh.

The man walked with the suit walked back up front. I waited for him to talk, putting the money into cash register. "Do you think you could help me find a suit again?"

I nod for the thousandth time and walk back towards the suits. I look through all of them, finding some of my favorite suits and shoving them at him. He smiles graciously and walks away. I walk back to the front desk and wait for him to come. He doesn't end up buying anything, and leaves the store.

The store starts to fill up once again. A few people coming in at a time. I watch the doors at all times, making sure no one would leave without paying for what they want to buy. And I'm glad I do.

Some people walk up and put clothes on my counter.  I start to scan them when I hear a sudden blare of noise. To my surprise, someone running out with a suit.

I rush out of the building and drag the guy back in. He tries to go back out, kicking. But I keep pulling him in as much as I can. He's pretty weak for a guy his size. I hear sirens coming close to the store and I try to hold him a little longer. The guy becomes even more squirmy. Two policemen come in and I bring him over, shoving him into their arms. I walk back to my post and scan the suits.

Everyone's eyes follow me, astonished. I just keep walking, not wanting to think over what everyone was thinking. So I stopped the idiot in his crime, big deal!

"How did you-"

"You're total will come to 34.95" I interrupt. They nod and one pulls out their wallet.

***

There hasn't been to many customers around here for a while. I sold some things to an Alyson Noel, Dayton Carl, Mason Stevens, and a few more. That stuff aside, the rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I haven't worn a smile on my face for the the whole day, since around 12:00... which is when the man tried to steal. I am already exhausted and I still have another hour to go. Cassie walks back into the store. In a sudden burst, she rushes over to my side and brings me out to closer to the front door. I must look dreadful, because she says, "We can close up early Y/n. Let's go home," pulling out her keys.

I almost fall asleep right in her arms. I struggle to stay awake in the car ride, and I'm sure as hell that I won't be able to walk up the stairs by myself. She says something about her whole family going on a vacation to Montreal. But something about that is strange, I thought her brother was in his last semester of his college course. Why would he want to go to Montreal? And what about her sister in the hospital?

When we get into the building I see Mrs. Smith (the receptionist) sitting at her desk, a smile smearing across her face. She motions me over, with boiling excitement.  "Hi miss Y/n! The red door you were talking about this morning got taken care of. It's now painted back to green. The woman who lived there didn't know it was against the rules. Thank you for bringing it to my attention."

I give her a quick smile and walk towards the stairs. Cassandra and I trudged up the stairs. When we finally got to the seventh floor -our floor- I struggle to grab the key.

"Y/n, what red door?" Cassie asks as I finally push open the door. We sit down in front of the tv. It's like a routine now.

"Someone painted there door red. It creeped me out that's all." I shrug, acting like it isn't a big deal... Which it isn't.

"When people say "that's all" it's not all. Why would it creep you out?" I turn on the tv and try to ignore the stare I was getting from her. My phone starts to ring, but I barely notice it till the last ring. I pull it out of my pocket and hit answer, realizing I didn't check the number.

"Hello?" I ask, my voice sounding barely awake.

"I'm sorry... Wrong number... I think... Bye." The call ends before I can say another word. I recognize, the voice, but from where? Think Y/n! THINK! Cassie looks at me, with a questioning stare.

"Wrong number."

Hey everyone! It's Fin! Thanks for reading the third chapter of Holding On Too Tight. A bit of a cliffhanger, aye? Who do you think it is?? MUAHAHAHAHA! I'm to weird to control... God. Well! I hope you liked it and the next chapter should be out soon! Smile!

Love,
     Finny