Chapter One

For giving me the opportunity to spread my love for writing. I will be forever grateful to Wattpad! :-)

----

One cold evening was enough to change my life and throw it into a sea of endless possibilities...

"Excuse me," A strikingly handsome, young man called out to me. He must have been just a few years older than me. Taken aback by his features, I blinked several times, jabbing my finger against my chest and mouthing, "Me?" He laughed at this, his confidence radiating off him as he stood before me.

"My name is DeAngelo Divicci." The corner of his mouth turned up. He was containing his enjoyment. I was so innocent and naïve—the perfect prey.

"Well," I nervously cleared my throat, "DeAngelo, I clearly must be in your way. Excuse me." I turned on my heels, as quick as ever, preparing myself for the long walk home from the small town. I was window shopping on my only day off all week, while my mother was at home with my siblings.

Before I could make even a step, I felt a gentle grasp tug me back around. "I said my name is DeAngelo DiVicci."

His stormy, blue eyes searched my own, seemingly desperate for some sort of response. I heard the words spill out of my mouth before I realized I was saying them.

"I go by Nina, but my name is Angelina." He graciously picked up my hand, kissing it so slightly I hardly felt it.

"Now tell me what a young, fragile thing like you is doing out alone in these dangerous streets?" He gestured to the alleyways nearby with a few suspicious figures walking in and out. The sun was setting, and I did admit, I had let time get away from me, but it wasn't often that I could just do as I pleased.

"This is what I do on my days off." I smiled awkwardly, twirling my golden-brown hair before pushing it behind my ear. I shocked myself with my response. I wasn't one to get personal with strangers, no matter how gorgeous they were. Curiosity brimmed my mind. Who is this man and what does he want from me?

He checked his watch and his expression became abrupt, "Your presence has been lovely, for that I hope to see you soon, Angelina." His piercing eyes opened my soul up to him, and I felt oddly taken advantage of. With that, he jumped into the stalling luxury vehicle a couple feet away from us and sped off.

The sun had completely gone down now, and I was quickly walking down the dirt road, which lay in the middle of nowhere. As tired as I was, traveling on foot became customary to me, since my family could not afford a car.

"Mama!" I called out, hearing several screams so loud that I heard them as I approached the front door.

"Gino and Ryan go to sleep!" My mother shouted in Italian, her words bounced off the walls and echoed through the barely-furnished house.

My little brothers laughed deviously and scrambled to the room they shared with my two youngest brothers. Four kids in a small room, I know, not the greatest idea.

"Mama, what's for dinner? I'm starving." I dropped my ratty, old bag at the front door and dragged my body into the kitchen. A guilty look was strewn across her face and she turned to look at me.

"I'm sorry, Nina, the kids were so hungry today. They finished it all, but I'm making you some soup." She scanned the empty refrigerator, finding something, anything, she could use. We had nothing else besides a bag of lettuce, carrots, and garlic. She looked at the floor, wiping her hands on her apron.

"It's fine, Ma. I'll just eat a lot tomorrow morning." I forced a smile just as my stomach grumbled. I held it, trying my best to muffle it. Her eyes looked me up and down, taking in my exhausted appearance in. Tears welled up her eyes and she cursed in Italian. My heart ached as I held her close to me.