Chapter Twenty-Two

"You sure you're good? You look white than a sheet of paper." David hadn't stopped asking me if I was fine since I walked out of the grocery store, pale and frazzled. I couldn't utter a sentence without stuttering, as my mind tried to process what just happened to me.

My purse felt like an anvil hanging off of my arm. The note was in there, folded and waiting for me. I wanted so badly to take it to Angelo's and open it up with him, feeling safe and protected. A part of me screamed for me to be realistic and just take it to him. My house was guarded and ever since the whole incident with Victoria, Angelo had doubled that security.

But I knew that wasn't enough to stop someone as sick and twisted as Jimmy and my monster of a cousin, Frankie. I knew in my gut that the two were working together. I wondered why Frankie worked so hard to see my demise. Even if my father was actually a traitor, those were not my actions. How could he want to punish his younger cousin who was innocent in all of this?

In the back of my mind, I knew the answer. I knew the truth, but it had seemed I blocked so many memories of my childhood and they were beginning to surface and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it.

"Look, if anyone is bothering you, you know you have to tell Boss." David insisted as he assisted me in bringing the groceries inside. I tightened my purse on my shoulder, anxious for David to go. I couldn't read the note in front of him. I wasn't sure how I'd react.

"Thank you David. It's just... Girl stuff, y'know?" I lied.

He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, avoiding my eyes, "Oh, sorry. I-I didn't know, I wouldn't have bothered you. Sorry."

I genuinely felt bad for him as I watched his normally stoic expression turn red in humiliation, "No, don't be sorry David. I appreciate you worrying about me. I'll be sure to pass the word onto Ang that you're doing a great job."

With a nod, he jumped back into the stalling car and sped off. I sat on the step at my front porch, staring at my purse. I checked my wristwatch for the time. It was a Saturday, which meant Angelo was off, which meant he would probably be over soon. I had to hurry and read the note before he got here. I decided to just do it quick, like ripping off a band-aid. I picked it up and unfolded it. It was an intricately written note, which seemed more like a poem. It read:

Dearest cousin,

Congrats on the engagement. Victoria tells me to leave you alone.

You won't be hearing from her anymore, by the way.

She's turning into a traitor, like you and your father.

I have to take care of that.

I need a favor from you.

We are family after all.

I need you to help me murder your fiancé.

You have until New Year's Eve to think of a plan.

Don't forget what Jimmy told you. He's not bluffing.

Trust me, cousin.

Hope to see you soon...

Love Always,

Frankie.

- - -- -

I felt like my brain wasn't working, like I could barely breathe, barely walk, barely think. The first thing I did after reading the note, was run to my room. I had to get out of there before Angelo came home. I was going to solve this problem once and for all. If I had to die to protect my family and Angelo, I was prepared to. I had torn through my room like a tornado, shoving clothes, shoes and money into a small duffle bag. My family had been preoccupied with a soccer game on TV and Mama was upstairs cleaning the kids' rooms.