Chapter Eleven

"So, guess what?" Angelo asked me over the phone.

I twirled my hair like a teenager, while laying on my bed with the TV blaring in the background, "What is it?"

"My sister is actually going to make it into town for Thanksgiving."

I sat up immediately. His sister wasn't supposed to be here until the middle of December. I had about one month to mentally prepare to meet his entire family. Now, he was giving me a week and half's notice, "Are you saying I'm going to meet your parents then?"

"You sure are," I could hear him beaming.

"Oh, cool!"

"You're such a terrible liar."

"Takes one to know one," I retorted.

He paused, seemingly shuffling through stuff, "I'm gonna hit the gym, I'll talk to you later."

I mustered up all my courage, "Ang, wait."

"What's up?" I could tell he was distracted, so I knew I was gonna throw him off.

"I got a job."

"You did what?" He sounded genuinely shocked.

"Yes. I'm sorry I should've told you I was applying, but I knew you would give me a hard time about it." I bit my nails nervously, waiting for his reaction.

"If that's what makes you happy, then I'm all for it, but if it's about money..." He paused and I knew what he was implying.

"I love it that you love taking care of me, and if that's truly what you want then I am ok with it, but I can't just sit at home all day every day. I need to be busy or else I'm going to lose my mind." I admitted. I learned to accept the fact that money was no object to DeAngelo and it was fulfilling to him to support my family and me. I eventually got used to the idea of it, knowing I would have to give in sooner or later. After we were married, this would be my life. Not to mention the fact that I didn't have a job because of him.

"All I ask is that it is a good, clean job in a safe area."

"It's a salon receptionist job just down the street from me. On Napier and Violet St."

"Receptionist?"

I bit my lip, "Yes..."

"I don't think you need to work under people and be their lapdog."

"I won't be anyone's lapdog, Ang. I will answer phones, book appointments and check people out."

"If this is really what you want." I could sense the hesitancy in his voice.

"I want to work, DeAngelo." I made sure I used a tone of finality with him. If he sensed me falter a little, he knew he was capable of convincing me not to do it.

"We'll talk about it some more tomorrow."

"Are you coming over?" I asked a little confused. He made a routine of coming over on his off days, which were Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Tomorrow was a Wednesday.

"Oh yeah, I wanted to take you shopping."

"For what?"

I could nearly hear the sound of his eyes rolling, "I can't just take you shopping?"