Chapter Nine

Fall mornings were bittersweet to me. In Chicago, you didn't know whether it would be a chilly day or if it would be scorching hot. Nevertheless, the colorful leaves paired with a fresh cup of tea in the morning was a perfect way to start the day. I wrapped my wool scarf around my neck and did the Sign of the Cross, in hoping it wouldn't be 75 degrees within the next few hours. I stood at my mailbox, sifting through the mail and waiting to be picked up by DeAngelo for some major wedding planning.

As I sifted through bill after bill, my phone vibrated with a call from DeAngelo. I rolled my eyes at it, sending him to voicemail. He surely was nearing my house and wanted me to be outside and ready. This guy was the epitome of punctuality. I got distracted once again when I came across an envelope with my name messily scrawled on it. I didn't have friends and any family we still had or talked to weren't Americanized enough to know how to write a letter in English.

Amidst my curiosity, I stopped paying attention to my vibrating phone. In hindsight, the way I became so easily distracted wasn't a good thing at all. I tore through the envelope, eager to read what in the world someone would possibly have to say to me, in a letter nonetheless. Immediately, I realized who it was from. My cousin Victoria. Despite my shock, I stopped for a second to check my phone. DeAngelo was late and that was more than unusual and that concerned me.

I picked up my phone to call him back, meanwhile an ominous feeling in my stomach rose to my chest and my heartbeat picked up. I couldn't help but be worried, though I found that emotion odd. He didn't pick up. I rang him once more. Again, no answer. My anxiety was coming at me full force. Now, I was panicking. I dialed him again, praying he would answer, but to no avail. I walked down to my mailbox, peering up and down my quiet street. I checked my watch. 9:36 A.M.

"Where are you, Ang?" I muttered to myself, sending him numerous texts.

"Looking for someone?"

I jumped at the sudden noise. I whirled around to see an older looking, unfamiliar man standing on the sidewalk. He had grey hair and was dressed casually in dark jeans and a deep blue t-shirt. His smile was kind, but his grey eyes seemed to be searching for something. I knew right away he was bad news, so I did what Angelo would want me to do and faked it. "Don't show anyone your fear." He would say every so often, if the topic of self-defense came up. It was like he was preparing me for this moment.

"No, actually I'm just getting some fresh air before work. Thank you." I smiled politely, trying with everything in me not to let my voice shake. I wasn't sure what the man would do, but he was definitely stronger than I was.

"Where do you work?" He inquired, sticking his hands in his front pockets. He almost seemed like just a curious neighbor, but I had never seen him in all the years I lived in the neighborhood. He was not a neighbor, nor was he a friend.

"What's your name again?" I asked.

He stuck his hand out instantly, approaching me now. I swallowed, realizing I was doing this all wrong. I basically gave him an invitation to take me. "I'm Jimmy," I shook his hand hastily, "Just moved in next door," He pointed his thumb behind him. I just then noticed a "sold" sign in the front lawn. It made no sense. My friendly neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Jackie lived there and never spoke a word about moving. They were old and settled and I guess I just figured they wouldn't be leaving.

He officially piqued my interest, "When did the Jackies move? I didn't see a for sale sign up anywhere."

"It was a private sale," Was that even a thing? "A buddy of mine is a real estate agent and he knew I was considering this area so he gave me a call and we made it happen." There was a suspicious glint in his eye when he said that. So, what was up with the "sold" sign?