Chapter Seven

Weeks passed by and every day DeAngelo did something new to impress me. Some days he took my sisters out for lunch and shopping, other days he took my brothers to a racetrack and sent my mother flowers more often than he sent them to me. Despite the circumstances of why we were together, I found myself slowly falling for him.

One day at lunch after a couple glasses of white wine, I found myself being particularly honest. Clearly, I have a problem, "You know what's kinda ironic?" I asked aloud, twirling my wine glass to aerate it. Something I learned from Mr. Fancy Pants (Angelo).

"Mm?" Angelo responded uninterestedly, while typing away on his phone. He was always working, this guy.

"I think if we had met in a normal way, I would have gone out with you." I admitted.

At this, Angelo raised his eyebrows with a knowing smile, "You really think so?"

"I mean, yeah why not?" I shrugged, taking another sip, "You're attractive amongst other things. Why couldn't you just ask me for my number like a normal guy, instead of following me home and turning my world upside down?"

Angelo reach across the small table and thumbed my chin gently, "Because Angelina, I know you better than you know yourself. You would never had agreed to going out with me."

"I guess, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. It still doesn't make sense to me."

"Ask me whatever you would like, love."

I wracked my brain for the right questions, "Do you only want to marry me because of my looks?" I bit my lip. Obviously if DeAngelo was not attracted to my appearance, I would never have caught his attention.

He chuckled softly and of course I melted. Everything he did made me melt. "Nina, do you believe in love at first sight? Or maybe fate?"

"I believe in God, Angelo." I challenged him.

"Okay, same concept then. God put you in my path. He knew I needed you and you me." He grabbed my hands and looked in my eyes.

I sighed, "But to want to make me your wife? Just like that? Just by looking at me?"

"So, what? I know what I want and I go out and get it. What's wrong with being sure?"

"Well for starters, it is a little unconventional. Secondly, you knew I would accept your offer if you dangled my mother's illness in front of me. The idea of her having a chance at a better life is enough to make me do anything."

"Anything?" He wagged his eyebrows suggestively.

"You know what I mean," I blushed profusely.

"To put it simply, Nina, I saw you, I wanted you and I got you. Albeit, I may have gone about it the wrong way, but if bribing you worked, I won't say I wouldn't do it again. And clearly, I made a good choice, because I'm crazy for you." He kissed my hand, not once looking away from me.

"I don't blame you," I laughed out loud, breaking the thickness of the air around us. I felt oddly at ease, having finally had that conversation with DeAngelo. I should get buzzed more often.

After lunch, DeAngelo rushed me out to his car, "I'm taking you somewhere."

"Where?" I asked slowly.