Chapter Twenty-One

I stared at the man in front of me, trying it digest what he just said. It was her choice? It was my mother's choice to raise a family on her, while at the same time being sick? It was her choice to watch her young daughter have to dedicate her entire life to working two jobs, just to make ends meet? My head spun with rage, "Do you have any freaking clue what you're even saying? Do you?" I seethed. I didn't know I was capable of ever being so angry, but I guess I found my trigger.

Angelo grabbed my hands and held them in his, "Shh, let me explain. Calm down."

I stood up abruptly, "Explain what, exactly? Either your ignorance is talking or you're going to drop yet another fact of my own life on me. I don't know how much more I can take. From you, from Victoria, from Frankie, from my deceased father. Now, you're going to sit here and look me in the eye and tell me even my mother has kept something this huge from me?"

Angelo rubbed his tired face. I had never seen him so stressed in the months that I've known him. He seemed to be having the most intense internal battle ever. I felt bad for taking my anger out on him, since he was the only one who was willing to be that honest with me.

"I'm waiting," I finally sat down across the room from where he stood leaning against his bookshelf.

He sighed heavily, "I have something to show you."

- - - - -

Angelo personally drove us downtown, but refused to tell me where we were going. I was left to stew in my anger and confusion, but I decided against lashing out anymore. Angelo was the only honest person I had in my life. It wasn't his fault he was tangled in my family's drama.

"Your dad had some questionable moments, but I want you to believe me when I tell you he was an honest, good man." Angelo spoke softly into the tense air.

"I'm done with the ambiguity," I declared with my eyes fixed on the Christmas lights shining all across town. It should have put me in a better mood, but all it did was give me a migraine.

Angelo rolled his eyes, mumbling under his breath. "I know, that's why I'm taking you where I am. There is an explanation for everything, but I need you to promise me that after this, you will trust me from the bottom of your heart. We need to be a unit, Nina."

I finally looked away from the window to stare into his stormy, blue eyes, "If you just tell me the truth I will give you much more than just my trust, Angelo."

I realized my words could have been received the wrong way and amid Angelo's tense stare, a scorching heat made its way up to my cheeks and I hid my face, groaning in embarrassment.

"Now, that's a promise I will hold you to."

Ugh. Men.

- - - -

I was utterly confused when Angelo pulled up to St. Joe's hospital downtown. He left his car up front and tossed his keys to the valet before leading me inside like he owned the place. He probably did. I snickered to myself.

"What?" He asked amused.

"Oh nothing, just thinking about how you probably own the place, since you sure are acting like it." I teased.

His beautiful eyes shone mischievously, "Actually, I don't, but you do..."

I scanned my surroundings to find ourselves right in front of a huge, elaborate wing of the hospital. The sign read, "Sorrentino's Oncology Wing." My breath caught in my throat and I froze in my spot. Angelo tugged on my arm, meanwhile sporting a Cheshire-like grin.