A Phone Rings

At the end of the first week I was still a silent emo girl. The girl who sat in the back of every class, the girl who wore black, the girl who didn't talk much. Yep I was her, muttering a few words for the Jacobs and Jason was the only time I really ever talked at school or the house. I stayed quiet through meals and "family time" and the rest of the time I was in the basement with my nose in a book, or pencil in hand scratching at scraps of paper making senseless pictures of a human form with cuts and bruises. The only thing these pictures had in common was the dark green cast on their arm.

Weeks passed and I had become comfortable with the silence that crowded my figure. Until one day my silence was shattered. A phone rang and Mrs. Jacobs answered the voice instantly caused her face to fall silencing her family, as she was rarely upset.

She motioned for me to come to the phone and handed the receiver to me. Picking it up I figured it would be Jason asking for the homework, or my CPS agent asking if everything was alright here. But I was wrong. Oh so very wrong.

The voice made my ears ring despite how soft the words they spoke were. I hadn't heard the voice in years. The person behind the voice just sat watching me be beaten and violated.

"Mom?"