Chapter Four

The little girl clutched onto her mother's hand, her eyes squeezed shut and her lips pursed tightly. I tried to work quickly with the stitches because I knew for a fact that the local anaesthetic in her thigh didn't numb the entire wound that I was stitching up, much to everyone's dismay.

As I sewed her flesh together carefully I couldn't help but wonder what the little girl was doing on the roof of her house from where she fell off and through the roof of a shed.

"Tell me, Mara, how did you end up on the roof again?" I asked the cringing girl. Her mother glanced up at her daughter.

"Mara, tell Dr Clarke what you did." Her mom coaxed, putting her hand on her child's head of chocolate brown hair. Mara looked up at me, her big eyes teary.

"Our neighbour's cat, Frufru, likes to jump up onto our roof and play but she's fat and our chimney is very small so often she gets stuck. I can hear her meow from the chimney so I climb up and go fetch her." Mara tried her best not to look at the open wound I was closing up but just couldn't look away.

"That's very dangerous, Mara." I said, not looking up from the knot I was tying as I finished stitching her up.

"I know but mommy said I am capable of doing anything I put my mind to." The little girl countered. I chuckled.

"Clearly you are. But I think mommy meant that you were capable of anything that's not on a roof?" I asked her. Mara turned a light shade of red and then hissed when I applied disinfectant to her sealed wound, cleaning the outside once more.

"That's exactly what I meant." Mara's mother laughed. The seven-year-old pouted because she claimed we were mocking her.

When I was happy with the now clean and closed-up wound I disposed of my gloves in the sanitation bin.

"Okay, Mrs Reddin, Mara, you're good to go." I smiled.

"I'm gonna be okay?" Mara asked, a big smile gracing her tearstained face.

"Yes, it's probably gonna hurt a little for a week or so but it'll get better. I want you to keep it clean, okay? You can ask your mom to help you keep all the bad little things out of it otherwise you could get very sick." I helped her off of the bed and onto the floor.

I don't think Mara was paying much attention to me after she was back on her feet, she was too concerned with the seventeen stitches going across her right thigh.

"Just clean it with normal disinfectant?" the mother asked me. I nodded.

"And I definitely recommend showers to baths for the first couple of days, and I'd also keep away from swimming pools and anything outdoorsy, at least until the wound has healed properly and the stitches have dissolved."

"Thank you so much." The woman offered me a smile and gently touched my shoulder.

"Always a pleasure." I smiled. "Mara, stay off of the roof, okay?" I smiled, looking down at the little warrior of a child. She beamed up at me.

"I'll see what Frufru has to say about that, but thank you." She limped over to me and wrapped her little arms around my waist. I rubbed her back and then watched as she and her mother left the room.

It was almost seven o'clock which meant that my shift was almost over. I decided that I might as well go to the locker room and change.

"Hey, Clarke!" I heard someone call. I turned around and Jordan Kim was walking towards me, dressed in her regulation navy scrubs that she wore with a pair of white Tommys. Her ink black hair was up in a bun and her porcelain skin had a hint of red to it today rather than its usual pink.