Chapter Eleven

I sat with my hands in my lap messing around, twiddling my thumbs. Despite the fact that I was a doctor and had been to the doctor about a billion times, it was still strange being left alone in the office while the doctor was out.

The door opened and I sat up straight as my doctor walked in with my file in her hand. Dr Emily Matisse, the gynaecologist I'd been seeing since I was about nineteen. I was most comfortable with her because she was a woman, for one, and she was quite young. Older than me but still considerably young.

"Megan." She smiled as she sat down. "How are you?" she asked. Her brown eyes were always kind and she had an endearing smile.

"I'm good, Doc, and you?"

"Fantastic." She folded her arms on her desk and looked across at me. "So, your test results are in." she told me.

Despite knowing that I've taken every safety precaution I could, I still got nervous when it was time to get my results. I couldn't help it.

"And?" I asked, slightly nervous.

"Clean, as always." She smiled. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Your tests came back clear of any STDs, cancers and whatever else there could have been."

"That's great, Doc." I was proud of myself for being able to take care of my body the way I was.

"I'm going to be honest with you, Megan. I'm impressed, especially with how...active you are." She admitted. I chuckled.

"Thanks, Doc." I chuckled. I rose from my seat, ready to go. "I take care of myself."

"Keep it that way." She stood up as well. I nodded. "I'll see you again in three months?" she asked.

"Yeah, of course." I agreed. Because I was as active as she said I was, I saw her for check-ups regularly, every three months to be specific. It was a conscious and responsible decision I'd made a long time ago.

We shook hands and she smiled. "Enjoy your festive season." She smiled.

"Oh right, that starts now." I sighed. "Tinsel everywhere, how delightful." I muttered sarcastically. Emily laughed and I chuckled once more.

"Enjoy the rest of your day, Megan."

"You, too, Doc." I left her office and headed out of the private practice she was running with about seven other doctors. It was a pretty impressive operation they had going on. I got outside and was hit with a cold breeze.

It had officially shifted from autumn to winter.

I wrapped by black scarf around my neck while walking to my car. I wanted to go home and take a nap because I was actually just in the mood for one so I went home and took my nap, waking up refreshed some hours later. I had two hours until Elijah would come and pick me up so I took the liberty of running myself a hot bath.

While I was in the warm bath, I absentmindedly played with some bubbles as I thought about some stuff. It was time to go shopping for Christmas presents and a whole other bunch of festive season chores that I wasn't really looking forward to, including my birthday.

There was nothing special about a 23rd birthday and if I could convince my parents of that, that would be one less thing for them to fuss about. When I was younger I used to love that my birthday was in December but after some time I realised how much work the month of December already was on its own without the extra day of hectic events.

I sighed before finally getting out of the bath and drying myself. I immediately put my necklace on as I stood looking at myself in the mirror. My fingers ran over the silver band that hung from the silver chain and it was cold, the lone diamond shimmering lightly.