Just A Regular Day

Well, "Hide" will definitely be up tomorrow, but I need to update something.

So, how does Clara do with her first training session with J? ;) This soundtrack, amazing in Series 2, sounds like it could almost be their training montage. Who knew butler-but-really-athletic-monks-and-werewolves music could be so epic?

Enjoy!

***

"Soviet submarine!" the Doctor cheered as they entered the TARDIS later. "That was brilliant!"

"I am glad you thought so," Pietro grumbled, shaking his hair out like he was a dog.

"So what do we do now?" Clara asked as Wanda picked up her clothes from where she had set them on the ground.

"Get dressed," Jessie answered, tossing her a bag.

Clara frowned, catching it. "This isn't my stuff."

"It is now. I hope I got your sizes right."

Clara blinked, opening the bag and peering inside. "These are workout clothes."

"Little bird mentioned you wanted to learn a few tricks," Jessie nodded as she took off her heels and tossed them carelessly aside. "We'll start right now."

"Really?" Clara's eyes lit up.

"I'll warn you, I'm a tough teacher," Jessie held up a finger. "So you're either all in or all out."

Clara looked through the bag to check the sizes of the clothes. "I'm in," she decided.

Jessie gave a feral grin. "I'll meet you in the gym, then."

***

"If there's one thing I've learned in self defense, it's that your strength and your size isn't everything," Jessie said as she joined Clara on a few laps around the gym. Clara could run, that was obvious. She just needed to work with the girl on her speed. Stamina might not be much of an issue as well. "So while I'm taller than you, if we get your speed up, you could take me."

"Really?" Clara asked.

"Well, if I go easy on you, maybe," Jessie smirked, waving for her to stop. Clara did, taking a few deep breaths. "If you can, work on your jogging or running while you're not on the TARDIS. Going round the block or finding a local gym could help. That was just a bit under ten minutes, which is really good."

"That a mile?" Clara took a swig of water from her bottle.

"That was a mile," Jessie nodded, taking a few rolls of tape from one of the benches. "And that was good for just ending an adventure."

"Thanks."

"I want you to get faster, though," she held up a finger. "And that means running whenever you can. Next time we'll see you is another Wednesday, yeah? Goal: knock at least fifteen seconds off that time. If you can do a mile in nine and a half, that would be best. And then keep knocking more off every time."

Clara looked at her. "I'm going to be doing a lot of running, won't I?"

"With our adventures, you'll be running no matter what," Jessie shrugged. "The more you run, the better you'll survive."

"So this was just a regular day for you?"

"No more regular days after I started traveling with the Doctor," Jessie smirked. "It's been . . . oh . . . " She tilted her head, thinking. "Round three hundred years?"

Clara nearly choked. "What?"

"Yeah, we look a bit younger than that," Jessie clapped her on the shoulder before starting to wrap her hands in tape to protect them. "Basically, Clara, an adventure is very boring if we're not running for at least half of it. If you want to know what a regular day is, it usually involves saving the world once or twice, too."