Chapter 8

Schools over I didn't see Eli or his friends the rest of the day.

I was finally walking up on my street I could see the house it's so scary looking, I almost don't want to go in without aunt Lora home but I have no where else to go so I make myself walk up the front stairs and unlock the door.

I sit on the couch and start to watch some tv the house is eerie quiet, I turn the tv up louder I wish aunt Lora would hurry up and get off work.

After awhile I turn off the tv and grab my backpack and go upstairs and go to my room, I open the door everything is still in boxes. I toss my backpack to the corner and quickly changed into a tshirt and jogger pants, I sit on the bed.

I hear the door creak open I must of not shut it all the way and the air conditioning must of kicked in but why do I hear some foot steps?

"aunt Lora" I call out but no reply I quickly stand up and open the door I look and don't see anyone I then hear the stairs creak like someone walking down them, I quickly run to the stairs and start walking down them as fast as I can I can hear footsteps but I don't see anything in the living room I hear the basement door shut I run over to it and try to open the door but it won't open no matter how hard I pull, I then hear the front door open.

"I'm home Jess" I hear aunt Lora yell I let go of the door and kick it shaking my head as I head back to the living

"Aunt Lora I think there's someone in the basement" I whisper

"Okay I'll look" but she doesn't seem to worried does she think I'm making this up?

She walks to the basement door I'm walking behind her, she reaches and grabs the door knob and it opens right up that's weird.

"Stay here" she says , I watch her go downstairs into the basement

After a minute she comes back upstairs.

"There's nothing it's a old house Jess it's going to take awhile to get used to it" she says once we walk back into the living room but I know what I heard

"How was your first day?" She asks

"Fine I talk to a couple kids they seemed nice" I shrug

"That's great I'm so proud of you" she smiling wide

"How was your first day of work?" I ask

"Great everyone is nice but they seem like they don't get a lot of new people moving here"

"Yeah same with me" atleast it wasn't just me

"They will get over it in a couple of days" she shrugs

"Yeah" I say unconvinced

Luke Pov

I hear that girl Jess come home she has the tv really loud I wonder if she hard of hearing? I just stay in the basement.

I hear the tv shut off and its quiet, I decide to go up stairs to see if she left I look in the living room and she not there I then go upstairs I walk up to her room and open the door slightly making it creak and I hear her say.

"aunt Lora" I decide to go back to the basement, I'm walking down the stairs when I hear her footsteps which makes me go faster I feel like we are playing tag I quickly run to the basement her on my trail she so close I quickly shut the door and hold on the door nob I feel her tug on it and I hold it tight to make sure she doesn't get it open.

I hear her aunt voice and Jess lets go of the door but I feel and feel her kick the door, I listen to her foot steps walk away.

I quickly walk down the steps of the basement I sit on the couch, I freeze when I hear the door open and footsteps coming down the stairs the older lady comes into view. she looks right at me then looks everywhere else and sighs and shakes her head and heads back upstairs I breath a sigh of relief.