Chapter 9 Mystery Man

It had been two weeks since they were stranded in that strange place. Ella found out the pilots name was Pete Maverick. He preferred to go by his last name. Ella didn't argue. Maverick did sound cooler. They also found a good source of food and a running source of water. Maverick became more dependable and stayed in the sleeping area with Ella every night until he built a hut. Then it was still one room and they slept on opposite sides. On nights when it got cold they shared the same blanket.
     Ella told him about her life, and Maverick told her about his. About his wife and his one child. No wonder Ella could trust him. He was a loyal man. He also went to college for becoming a doctor but soon quit that when he found his wife became pregnant. Then he took to becoming a pilot and enjoyed it a lot better. He also was in cub scouts as a child. Maybe thats where he gets the survival from, Ella thought.
    Ella told Maverick about Michael and the band. And how she lost Kyra and desperately searches the land daily for her. Maverick said he remembered Kyra from the plane. So the next day they decided to search the plane's bathroom. They only found a dead man with his pants down. But they grabbed some toilet paper. They decided a roll for writing dates and records. And the other for their tushies.
     "Ella your a great woman. Don't ever think you were the cause of Michael's death. It was honestly an accident that happens. You can't become He-man and protect everyone you love. You can try. That's what makes you brave. He died saving you." He pointed at her.
    Ella just looked down. "It's hard to accept. Half of the time people see it was an accident. But all the fans say its my fault."
     "Were they there?"
     Ella shook her head.
     "Then how would they know. They can't prove anything was your fault unless they were there. And have you ever seen a video of it?"
       "No."
        "Exactly" He sat upright. "No one has any evidence or proof that you pushed him into it or anything. No one saw it. Accept you, and Michael."
      Ella's knuckles loosened. "You're right." She leaned towards him and gave him a big hug. "Thank you for opening my eyes."
       "Your very welcome Ella. All we have is each other until we can get out of this place. I don't think its an Island."
      Ella nodded.