Chapter 14 Long way home

The ship ride home was lonely. Kyra tried comforting Ella but... Sorrow swept over her. The breeze blew her dirty hair. The city was straight ahead but Ella didn't want to go back.
     What would she tell Maverick's wife. His child? Only Ella could tell them. It would be crazy for someone else to tell them. She felt the responsibility of telling them. She knew she had to tell them but she didn't want to.

     Later that night she opened the door to her apartment. Familiar smells and surroundings overwhelmed her. She slammed the door and ran to the park. The same park she went to the day Michael died. She looked at the fountain. Memories choked her.
    She walked across a street and stepped into a coffee shop.
    "What will it be for you today young Miss?" said the man at the register.
     Ella sighed, "nothing today, would you happen to have a phone book?"
      He nodded. "Yeah your lucky. We were going to throw it out tomorrow. There is also a payphone back there. Need quarters?"
      Ella checked her pockets. "Actually yeah."
      He handed her a roll and she went to the back flipped threw some pages. Maverick Wright. Next to it was his wife's name. Marissa Wright. Ella dialed the Marissa's number and listed to the dial tone. After a few seconds someone picked up.
    "Hello?" said a soft, weary voice.
     Ella tried speaking, "uh, hello." she took a deep breath, " This may sound crazy but. I need your address. I have to tell you something," she sighed, "in person."
      Ella heard Marissa sigh. "Alright sure."

      Later that evening Ella found Her house and knocked on the door. She opened it after a few moments. She looked at her, "You must be Ella. Come on in."
      Ella sat on the couch. Marissa sat down in a chair across from her.
      Ella sighed. "You probably know what I'm going to talk about. And you may think I'm lying. But I was on the plane the day it crashed. My friend and I both. And I'm here now. Which means I'm a survivor."
      Marissa looked at Ella. Her eyes loosened their angered look.
      "He didn't die in the crash. He was killed by some Natives. But that isn't important. I just wanted you to know, that Maverick dearly missed you, he was loyal. He Would never look at me the way I'm sure he looked at you."
       Marissa sighed. "Its okay."
       There was a knock at the doorway. "Mommy, I can't sleep." a little girl stood in the doorway. She had Maverick's eyes. Charlotte.
        Ella stood up and walked over to her. She knelled down and hugged her. Marissa stood upland began to say something but quickly stopped after seeing the tears on Ella's face.
         "She's a mirror image of him." Ella looked up at Marissa.
          Charlotte looked at Ella then Marissa. "Who is this? When is Daddy coming home?"
            Marissa began to cry. "Charlotte. Daddy isn't coming home. He is in a better place. He is happy. You will see him again one day. But not for a long time."
         Charlotte nodded her little head. "Who are you?"
          Ella opened her mouth but was cut off by Marissa. "This." she smiled, "is your Auntie Ella."
          Ella smiled and a few more tears slipped down her cheeks. Charlotte grabbed Ella's face in her small hands and wiped the tears away. "Please stop crying Auntie Ella. I've already seen enough if Momma crying. Not you too."
          Ella smiled. "Okay" she barely could say as she nodded and accepted a hug from Charlotte.
          There was a knock at the door. Marissa went to go answer it. Ella recognized a voice.  Luke.
           She bolted up and ran past Charlotte and Marissa and leaped at Luke. Behind him was Calum, Ashton, and Kyra. "Everyone is here." she gave enormous hugs to Calum and Ashton. She smiled over Ashton's shoulder at Kyra. She mouthed to words 'thank you' to her. Kyra nodded.
        Marissa took Ella and Charlotte's hand. "Come on everyone. Come on Lotte. Lets go get something to eat."
        Everyone nodded and followed Marissa, Ella, and Charlotte into the night.