Chapter 10 Like in the movies

Life was running smoothly for Maverick and Ella. They always had full stomachs and even a place to relax on rocks that were nicely warmed by the sun. Ella took up a hobby of making outfits with stuff from the land. So she one day made herself a swim suit. She crept in the water and grabbed her homemade squeegee. She rubbed it against her skin getting all the dirt off. The sun warmed up the water. Then she used coconut oil to wash her hair. Then she just swam for a while. She swam until she realized the sun going down. So she got out of the water. She laid on the sun warmed rock and looked up at the fading light blue sky. She sighed.
      There was another sigh behind her and she sat up and turned around to see Maverick sitting on a boulder. "You creep!"
      "Hey don't yell at me! You were enjoying yourself. It reminded me of my family. So I just watched. Your not my wife, thats for sure." He turned around and rested his head on his hands.
       Ella looked down. She rubbed the back of her head, stood up, and walked over to him. "I'm sorry. It must be... really hard. I wouldn't know too well. I don't have a husband or a child."
     Maverick just stared at the ground. He turned around and looked at Ella. "I will admit it. You look pretty cute in your homemade bikini. And I'm sure your something fine. But..."
     "Your a great, loyal husband. Its okay." Ella looked into his eyes. "We just need to keep strong. We'll be home soon."
      Maverick looked at Ella. Charlotte would love you."
      "Who is Charlotte?" Ella sat down next to him.
      Maverick lifted his head and laughed. "Oh yeah. I've never told you my family's name. My wife's name is Marissa and my daughter's name is Charlotte."
       Ella felt pure sorrow for him. She leaned against him, "Thats a beautiful name. I can't wait to meet them. And I can't wait to see you reunite with them." It'll be happy ending. Like in the movies."
      Maverick smiled. "Yeah! It will be great. Maybe I'll adopt you also. Or do you have a father?"
       Ella's happy attitude changed. " Well actually I don't. He died when I was 13. He was a great man. Strong, a great support in my life. I will never forget him. He holds a big special place in my heart. He always will."
      "Aww kiddo." Maverick hugged her. "Maybe I will adopt you." He stifled a laugh, but realised it wasn't the right moment.
       Ella wiped a lone tear and hugged him back.
      "We'll get through this. Like all you kids get through school, your little soldiers to have to go through whatever arithmetic crap they give to you. The last year of high school for me was when they introduced all this new crazy math."
     Ella giggled. "Yeah. It's ridiculous."
     "So do you have a mother?" Maverick asked.
      Ella laughed. "Yes but we don't talk about her."