4

About an hour later, Judy and I were in the car, driving to the local market. Since we had gotten in the car, it had been silent. I hated silence so I decided to stop it.

"Have you seen your dad's new picture he painted?" I ask, looking at her for a minute while we were stopped at a red light. She nods.

"Yes. I really enjoy that one."

"I do too. You know your father doesn't think they're that good," I tell her and I notice that really got her attention, so I continue. "I was thinking we could surprise him with something. I know a place we could rent out for a few hours and show the public just how good they are."

"Do you think he'll get mad?" Judy questions. I don't answer right away. Would he get mad?

The red light turns green and I continue to drive. "I guess we could ask him somehow..." and Judy nods.

We eventually make it to the market and I grab a cart. I pull the shopping list out of my purse.

I started going to the meat aisle. I grabbed a turkey that we could eat tonight. I asked what Judy wanted with the turkey and she said she wanted mashed potatoes and corn. After picking up the mashed potatoes and corn we picked up milk, bread, and strawberries. I picked up a couple bottles of wine as well that Ed and I could drink tonight. Judy asked if we could stop by the bookstore before we headed home and I told her we could.

Once we got in the bookstore, Judy headed over towards the nonfiction area. She usually likes fiction things but I didn't think too much of it. I chose a book that I thought I would like and sat down on one of the provided couches to read it while Judy looked.

I had finished the first chapter of the book when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was only Judy but she held up a book, asking if she could get it. The book she held in her hands was a nonfiction book about spirits. I looked at her surprised. That was the last thing I wanted her to read. I wanted to keep her as innocent as I could. But I wasn't going to be the mother who stops her from doing what she wants. Especially reading, which is what all parents want their child to do. I nod hesitantly and I know I make the right decision when I see her smile.

I decide to buy the book I was reading as well. Once we check out, we decide to head back home. It was already almost five o'clock. When we arrive at home I see Ed working on one of the leaky faucets in our house. I quickly put the stuff we bought at the store away and come up behind him. "Boo," I whisper in his ear and he laughs.

"Thank you for fixing the faucet," I say and he smiles and kisses m forehead in return. I ask him if he's hungry and he nods. "I can cook," He volunteers and I shake my head.

"You cooked breakfast."

"You went shopping all day," He shoots back.

"Well only for about half the day. Judy and I went to the book store after."

"Let me do this for you," He says and I smile.

Dinner comes and goes. Judy is in bed and we're in the living room. Ed spots the book that I bought Judy today and he picks it up. "What's this?" He asks.

"Judy bought it at the bookstore today, I didn't want her to buy it, but I didn't want to tell her no."

He reads the back of it and sets it down. "Are you ready for bed?"

I nod. Once we are in bed, I decide to ask him about the paintings. "Would you ever let anyone else see your paintings? Like people around town?" I ask. My head is on his chest and his arms are wrapped around me. I always feel safe in his arms.

He thinks about it for a minute. "I suppose. They aren't private but I haven't thought about it before. Why?"

"No reason," I say and that's the last words we exchange before falling asleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is dedicated to @Sky-WereDog-Girl for the lovely comment. I hope everyone enjoys this chapter. Ah who am I kidding? There's only like two people reading. Enjoy the rest of your day, guys!

Irena