Unexpected visit

A brownie to go... My cell phone vibrated after receiving a simple text sent to me early in the morning. I placed the extra order with the other usual number of pastries meant for the Rovern Firm. Today was one of those scheduled delivery days and I brought the usual party mix of croissants and other mouth watering delights, and the extra brownies (as per requested by Devin) to the firms office. 

            "You're awfully late today," Rose started immediately taking her share of pastries from the boxes that I've just brought in.

            "Sorry, it's one of those mornings" I shrugged, "My car broke down."

According to the mechanic my radiator is dead. The sudden death of my car was enough to disrupt my normal morning routine and I had to make a desperate, near pleading, call to Melanie to take care of the shop and had to fly solo for a while. As I had to ultimately no other choice but to use the ever so reliable public transit to get to work.

            "That's tough," Rose nodded and took a bite out her croissant and gave out a small satisfied sigh, "Though it was a joy to see Devin's disappointed face," she chuckled after swallowing her bite.

            "Eh?" I was surprised by her statement.

            "It's his birthday today, that's why he wants those brownies. He looked so forward to your visit and he had this lost kid look when you didn't arrive at your usual hour. Fortunately, he had to go somewhere that's why he isn't here harassing you," the secretary took another bite of her pastry, snickering to herself softly.

Now it made sense, because usually a few minutes after I come through those office doors, I would be protesting to Devin to stop shamelessly flirting with me and touching areas he shouldn't. The office suddenly felt weirdly eerie now that I realized he isn't here with his playful antics.

            "Don't tell me you miss him?" Rose gave me a suggestive gaze.

Before I could answer my cellphone rang and by the sound of the tune I knew who it was,           "Melanie...?"

            "Ethan...!" My ear hurt from her high screech, "Your mother's here... or a woman that claims to be your mother."

            "My mother...?" That dumbfounded me. My mother is here, in this city, it couldn't be...?

~~~~~~

 I arrived blazingly dashing into the bakery, nearly completely out of breath. There stood, the much older version of my mother from what I remembered. How many years has been since I seen her face? How long has it been since that day, that very fateful day that changed everything?

If I counted the Christmas days that went without my mother's special turkey dish or her homemade apple pie, it would add up to 10 years. During that time I haven't spoken a single word to my father or elder brother, Trevor. They continuously refuse to speak to me and shun me out of their lives. My mother remains my only connection to the family that has literally abandoned me.

            "Ethy... My how you have grown," my mother calls me by that childhood nickname

            "Mom, what are you doing here?... How...?" I was more surprised about her being here in the shop, then the embarrassment of hearing small snickering from my employees.

            "I'm on an gallery art tour with my future mother-in-law."

            "In-law...you mean...?" My older brother must have gotten married.