A New Friend

About a week has past since that fateful night. I had decided to take a chance on a relationship. Something I told myself and agreed to not to do again. And so far I haven't regretted going against that decision. Devin and I have been doing just fine these past days, its almost as if it has a became a normal and natural routine. It felt surprisingly natural, and comfortable. 

        "Morning!" Devin greeted me with his ever so familiar polished and bright smile. I got into his nice warm and heated car after having dashed out from my complex entrance after waiting for his arrival.

        "Coffee...?" He handed me a cup with the printed design of my favourite coffee shop. "Vanilla bean...right?"

        "Thanks," I took it gratefully. The weather has gotten cooler the past few days, and I was more than happy to get myself warmed up with a delicious hot beverage.

I'm still amazed at how easy and comfortable our relationship has become, the transition wasn't too problematic or even dramatic. Nothing really major has happened between us, other than my lowered amount of verbal abuse (and physical) that I has used to barrage him with endlessly. In my defense it was so to keep him from groping and harassing me. And I am more than grateful for the harassment, he usually gives me, have lessen and nearly even ceased. It is something I am more than happy and relieved for. 

It has now become a routine for Devin to pick me up and drive us to work. Sadly, the mechanic couldn't acquire the needed parts, as the company no longer manufactures the said part, and so therefore my car is completely and utterly, dead. According to and recommended by the mechanic, the best option for me is to buy a new car and sell the old one for scraps and parts.

I was disappointed upon hearing that verdict. My trusty little silver Honda had always been good to me for a good solid 10 years that I had it. The Honda was the first car I had ever brought with my own hard earned money, and the car that has been there with me since the beginning of the argument with my family. I am sad to scarp it, however I got it as a second hand car and it actually has 17 years to its life. So it isn't too much of a surprise that it has finally choked on its last breath.

When I told Devin I needed a new car, he said, "Oh well... I guess I have to be picking you up until you get a new one then." with just a shrug. To me, he sounded so pleased with the fact that I have no car and would be relying on his assistance for a while.

As for me, I felt no need to rush and go shopping for a new car, at the present moment. I mean, where di you often get the chance to be chauffeured around in a nice Audi driven by a handsome attorney? This was an opportunity not worth missing, and besides, these early morning drives together are the great chance to get to know about one another in a more intimate manner.

On these drives to the bakery, we would fill those moments just asking each other general questions. The kind of stuff ' young lovers' would ask during those few first few timid dates. Those usual questionnaires of what are your favourites and what different interests we each might have. It was a great opportunity for me to really get to know Devin, just the man and not just as I had known him as Devin, the attorney.

Devin, I found out, is a sports man. Not that I'm too surprised about that information. Other than just swimming and doing some light jogging, he does occasional tennis matches and golf, but they were usually done with the intention to get to know his clients and have some friendly competitions with friends in the same field of work. It appears he has a very competitive streak, but I guess that is a fitting attitude for the type of occupation he does.

I soon came to see him in a whole new light, just as Devin Carter. A man. Discovering that he has an innate sense of humour and likes to input light flattering within his sentences. I'm not sure that's how he interacts with other people or just him trying to just please (or embarrass) me. Though I will keep it a secret that I kind of like it, despite what I verbally output to him personally.