Epilogue: Making Vows

My dad was able to be released from the hospital the day before the annual family gathering. Its held during the Christmas Eve night. With my dad's fully recovery, it made the party feel even more festive as we were also celebrating his fortunate good health.

Slowly, but surely, I've been slowly getting integrated and being welcomed back into the Rein family. My own family.

Before the party, I've been spending a lot time with my brother by helping him brain storm ideas for his next writing project, while dad was still in the hospital. When I had free time, I often went to visit my dad. After telling him that I forgave for everything, there was still some lingering awkwardness between us. But gradually, that feeling peeled away and we fell into that familiar relationship we shared in the past as just father and son.

It was great. We started to really talk to each other. In the past I thought it this would never happen, but it did. And I'm grateful it happened. If things were going to continue like this, I was more than willing to forget about the past and continue on with the restart to a better life. 

Devin was happy for me. And it also made me happy knowing he has become a welcomed member to my family. It didn't take much for him to be accepted. He knew how to charm people, and it worked successfully for him, much to my dismay. As people constantly wanted to talk to him, and kept crowding around him. 

While at my family's party, I thought there would be this hanging awkwardness amongst the various family members. Despite my fears and worries, that wasn't present or there was very little of it. There was a shared round of hugs and pats on the backs from uncles, aunts and cousins that had missed me over the years. And were quite happy to welcome me back into the family.

In the past few days, I was a little nervous about going to the party since there would be faces I haven't seen in years. A nerve worked itself and embedded stubbornly getting me filled with anxiety. My mind kept thinking over many situations on how my other family members would react to me. And I kept questioning whether they would fully accept me back. Would they mind my orientation or not?... And of course, would they welcome Devin happily? That what worried me the most.

However, Devin heavily chewed me out on that. I told him about my worries but he insisted I was just being silly and slightly paranoid. I should just relaxed and be myself, and enjoy seeing long lost faces after such a long time.

Those worries turnout to be nothing.

Devin "stole" the party, as I would describe it. People came to enjoy his company and he had the skill to make people laugh with witty humour and keep them engaged in intellectual discussions. It also didn't help that he waltz into the party in one of his Italian tailored suit that is formfitting and hugged his body beautifully. A literal eye-candy for all the ladies in the party. 

Some of my younger, single, female cousins were eyeing my man. I made sure I hovered around my him at all times. And sort of happened to walk into their conversation. It was a tool to remind people that he's with me and that he's mine, and mine alone.

The "idiot" himself would just flash me a happy grin, and put his arms around my waist.

Well... at least he knows who he belongs too and that's very important.   

Despite my fears, the event was rather anticlimactic. I was welcomed back with a warm reception. Whatever qualms people may have of me, they must've kept it to themselves. I don't think anyone wants to be the party crusher and spoil the festive mood. So whoever had a problem with me kept it to themselves.

All my worries were gone and I just let myself enjoy the party.

The party atmosphere hasn't changed since the last time I attended a family gathering. There were familiar faces everywhere, and surprises of people I knew as children had grown up and bloomed into responsible adults. My older relatives were amazed to see how much I have grown as well. And congratulated me on my success with my business.