Helping Hand

Everything was working as it should and all the equipment is running smoothly at full capacity.  My new store opened with great success and is meeting all expectations. I couldn't be happier... well nearly almost completely happy. 

After that whole incident with Julian the reporter, it has been stubbornly, ever so constant, in the back of my mind. The thing she blurted out about the troubles happening with my family. It's frustrating me that I have no clue as to the situation or know what they have planned to deal solve it.

Helpless... is the description. I somehow feel useless, I know nothing and have no idea how to help. But its not like they willingly will accept any of my assistance or any form of it. Both my dad and brother are proud people, and the last thing they will ever do is come to me for help.

Plus, what's say do I have, concerning the family business? I'm no longer part of it, maybe long ago I was, but not anymore. I'm doing a completely different occupation, there is no similarity between our work that could connect us in some way. And this fact only deepens my feelings of helplessness. 

Devin has been scolding me and getting a little upset. In fact nearly everyone is lecturing me about this. Melanie is no exception, she's the main contributor to the cause. She keeps telling me to stop moping. I have no cause of concern when it comes my family or what's happening with them.

They don't care shit about me or about my hard times. Nor what I had to go through to get where I am today. Why should I be any different? But that just it, I can't do that. No matter how much they've hurt me in the past, they're still my family. Deep down, no matter the pain, I still care for them and I know that will never change. I hoped everyday that things could change between us. But I know, not everything has a quick fix. 

Only Devin, seems to understood this point but he still doesn't like the fact it saddens me and that also affects him too. He constantly reminds me he doesn't like seeing me unhappy. My smiles are, apparently to him, my best attributes besides my cute arse.

"If it will ease your concern, how about I find out what's happening?" Devin suggested. Hugging me from behind.

We were alone, as usual, during the early mornings in the bakery before the rest of employees arrive and before Devin heads off to work. I was still in my somber state, and I have been like this for a few days. 

"Is that possible?" I said, twisting myself around eye to eye.

"Sure, don't underestimate my connections," he grinned, "I can find out about a lot of things."  

"I don't doubt you can," One thing I know is Devin always says what he means, and never gives false promises. I like that. The fact he is a man of his word, and that makes it easy for me to trust him. 

"So...? If I do, will it help return that beautiful smile of yours," he tilted my chin upwards and playfully displayed a pout, giving me that begging look.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to really know what's going on. I don't want to cause Devin any further trouble. It would be best the less I knew, the less I will worry. If it is really that bad, it will make me feel even more worse than before, and that won't make either of us happy. 

"Its fine. Thanks for the offer," I told him, "But it would be better, for my conscious, the less I know. Who knows what other worries I might conjure up if I knew everything." 

"You sure?" 

I nodded, "Yeah," 

Devin looked a little skeptical but that would be expected, though he said nothing or mentioned anything. I know he cares about me, though I don't want him to keep worrying about me. There's only one way I know that works, that will keep his attention and mind elsewhere.