Soulmate | TJ Hammond

Everyone always said that your soulmate was born with the same exact tattoo in the exact same spot. However, it was really rare.

Every single day, only two people would find their true soulmate.

Only two out of the billions of people.

Some of your friends would flip through history textbooks to find that their soulmate had died thousands of years ago, and the only evidence of it being ancient drawings.

People say the closer your tattoos are to each other, then you'll be closer friends. But, only one person has the exact same one as you. Your tattoo highlighted the similarities you and your soulmate had. For example, if both were music lovers, they would both have a music note or a staff.

You and your best friend shared nearly the same tattoo. Except the words were different, and it was in a different place, but they were extremely close.

Her's said:

"It's hard to forget someone
who gave you so much to remember."

And it wrapped all the way around her forearm.

You had absolutely no faith in finding your true soulmate.

You had given up the day you turned twenty-one, and decided that true love was too complicated for you, and decided to instead pursue a career in medicine, which you had always been interested in.

It was hard work.

You attempted suicide twice, as you lost most of your friends after someone accused you of being a home-wrecker.

You often used a razor to slice the delicate flesh at your wrist, while staring at the tattoo higher up on your arm.

The words were beautifully put together, and were the only reason you're still alive.

You later graduated med school at 26 and were stationed in a private, expensive hospital in DC, where you worked in the ICU. For the next four years, you worked there, only going on three dates, and having one boyfriend.

One day, your boss came up to you, assigning you to room 107 to take care of a patient with an alcohol and cocaine overdose. From the gossip you had overheard, it was an attempted suicide.

You nodded, taking a clipboard and walking to the room.

When you opened the door, the former First Lady was standing there, causing you to gasp. "I'm so sorry, Ma'am, I have the wrong room!"

You closed the door swiftly, and looked further down the hall at room 108, only to realize that the room with the First Lady really was your's.

You opened the door and slipped inside, muttering quietly, "Or not."

Elaine Hammond smiled at you from her seat, and continued to stare out the window. The lights of Washington DC flickered like candles in the distance.

You performed a series of vital checks, like his heartbeat, blood pressure, etcetera.

You were just about to check his wrist tag for the Patient ID Number, when a small tattoo on his bicep caught your eye.

You gasped once you saw it, dropping your clipboard, startling Elaine.

"Dear? What's wrong? Is TJ okay?"

With a shuddering hand, you pulled your short sleeved uniform up, revealing the same tattoo.

Small, American Typewriter font letters said:

"Why should I fight
If there's no one to battle
Except myself?"

Elaine read the letters, her cold fingers brushing over the permanent letters.

Glancing at her son's arm and back at your's she let out a breathy chuckle.

"I knew there was something special about you the moment I saw you."

Your other hand still over your mouth, your head shook frantically, tears forming in your eyes.

"This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be r-"

"Mom?"

Elaine's head snapped to the bed, and her smile turned to a small frown.

"Are you okay, Tommy?"

"Yeah... I think I am."

You picked up the clipboard, and stepping back into the shadows.

"Tommy, I have a surprise for you."

Elaine turned back towards you, and TJ's gaze followed her's, his face softening once his eyes met yours.

You stepped forward, exposing your tattoo as a peace offering.

"Hi, my name is (Y/N) (L/N)... And I'm your soulmate."