Soulmate | The Winter Soldier

The lines had appeared on his left arm on exactly May 6, 1997. Winter had awakened from cryogenic preservation and had stared down at the words that danced around his forearm. They were written in English, a language that was familiar to him but rarely spoken.

And what surprised him the most was but the words were written on his right arm, which meant his soulmate was left-handed. HYDRA had guessed his soulmate would be right-handed, and the left metal arm would prevent him from seeing anything that would make him snap out of his trance. Of course, they had guessed wrong.

They were written to him.

DEAR SOULMATE,

She wrote in all caps for some reason. Maybe to make it more noticeable. Or maybe that was just her handwriting. It was a messy scrawl, barely readable. But it had character.

She begged him to answer, asking for anything. Winter didn't have a pen, so he just watched helplessly as his soulmate continued writing. Soon, the letters washed off hand his arm was once again blank.

He heard from his soulmate soon after.

The letters seemed to be in a grocery list, the small unique handwriting organized into a list that seemed to get fuller every second.

Winter hid the words from his captors. Then, his eyes caught a single word written on his wrist. "Freedom." (picture above)

WRONG the voice in his head screamed. SUBMIT NO WRONG SUBMIT WRONG SUBMIT—

He conceded and looked away.

It was written in big, bold, black letters and small doodles in ballpoint pen were drawn around it. He chanced one more glance at the words, too quickly for the people in his head to start screaming. Perhaps that was what started his mini-revolution in his head. The real him was fighting the HYDRA out, too slow for his captors to notice.

He enjoyed watching the lines grow across his forearm. They passed time, and sometimes codes and different languages were written instead of the occasional doodle or note. He deciphered them easily, smiling when the words were scribbled over in a furious attempt to cover them up. Then, the entire tornado of ink washed away as his soulmate presumably licked a finger and wiped it away. He could almost feel the way his soulmate desperately rubbed at her skin to remove the markings.

Complicated equations and binary coding were drawn, sometimes across the entire length of his right forearm. They were easily hidden under the sleeve of his shirt. Luckily, no one had noticed the lines. Yet.

One morning, a bold eagle was drawn right on his wrist. It was done with clean lines and colored in expertly. He could tell the eagle meant something to her. His wings were spread out as if in an act of defiance or freedom. The head was turned to the right side. Perhaps that symbolized something.

For days, the eagle stayed there, even as other marks appeared and disappeared. It was then Winter realized that this small eagle on his wrist was a tattoo.

It comforted him to realize that even though he was stuck in a concrete freezer most of his life, there was something to look forward to. And that was meeting his soulmate.

The airport PA system quickly announced that the airport was closing. Luckily, your secret talent was that you enjoyed learning new languages, and could speak a plethora of them. Of these, a few were English, Spanish, German, Russian, French, and Mandarin. Thankfully, being a genius was one of the perks that came with being the daughter of a genius.