Soulmate Pt. 2 | The Winter Soldier

Part two of 'Soulmate | The Winter Soldier'

Takes place in ~2016 after Age of Ultron but before Civil War.

Unfortunately, you were in charge of the Soldier's recovery—both in the mental and physical sense—and therefore, you saw him a few times every day. Each time you walked in the door, a new test or checkup planned, it would carefully study your movements. You even caught it peering at your eagle tattoo, the same one that was engraved in its own skin.

You slammed the door each time you left it's room.

"Hello James," you breathed out in a deadpan one morning, carrying it's tray of breakfast and anti-programming serum. It was a solution that was specifically designed by you and your dad in an effort to reverse Hydra's brainwashing.

"My name isn't James."

That was the first time it had said more than two words in a single sentence. You raised an eyebrow and turned around, setting the syringe on the table. "What would you like me to call you then? Bucky?"

If it were up to you, you would refer to it as "Soldier", just like you did internally. But according to your father, that was 'rude'.

Bucky grimaced at the name and you internally celebrated. "Well, Bucky, I'm lowering the dose of the anti-programming serum. As much as I hate to admit it, you're reacting pretty well to the therapy and you don't need as much of the antidote."

"Who are you?" The Soldier asked abruptly.

"I told you, I'm (Y/N) Stark. I'm your caretaker."

"Why you?"

"I'm a registered nurse. I'm sure you know of my grandfather, Howard Stark, and my dad, Tony Stark. I'm basically them, but less tech and more medical."

The Soldier dropped its head, nodding once. You sighed, carefully pushing out the air in the syringe and flicking the needle. "Here's your dose for today. The cooks made you some oatmeal for breakfast and there's also some toast and orange juice on the tray."

It held out its arm, allowing you to clean the injection site with a cotton bud and inject the serum in his bicep. It hissed as the liquid ran through its veins. "What's in that thing, anyways?"

"Nanobots. Specifically programmed to help repair and encourage the growth of your neural pathways. It hurts because the solution they're in is as thick as syrup," you explained, closing the cap of the syringe and not even bothering to put a band-aid on the pinprick. You knew it would heal in a few seconds, anyways. Stupid super-soldiers and their stupid super-healing. "And also because the nanobots are latching onto your nerve endings."

"I assume that's painful...?"

"You're the one feeling the pain, why are you asking me?!"

The Soldier scowled, recoiling slightly. You felt a sudden sense of satisfaction in seeing him angered. As it was about to open its mouth to retort, FRIDAY interrupted with an urgent notification.

"Miss Stark, I normally wouldn't interrupt you during a conversation but this information is very pressing and time—"

"Yeah, yeah, FRIDAY. I get it. What is it?"

"There's an unidentified, armed craft heading straight for the tower and—"

"Get down!" The Soldier exclaimed, tackling you to the floor just before your world went dark.

.

"Wake up."

.