When He's Not An Option

This fic was inspired by and includes the song above!! 

AU NO WIVES OR KIDS STILL GMM!

Rhett and Link had been friends for almost 33 years, Rhett had always had feelings for this best friend but never told him. Rhett had written a song about a month ago but never had the guts to sing it for Link, until now that is. Rhett had said he needed to tell Link something and that it was very important.

 Link changed into something nicer before rushing over to Rhett's house. Once he arrived he quickly got out of the car before walking quite fastly to the door. There was a note taped to the door that read "Hello Link, the door is open come to the backyard.". Link slowly pushed the door open and saw a dozen roses with his name on them, he picked them up and continued to the backyard. 

Once he opened the door he saw Rhett sitting in a chair with an empty across from him, so Link sat down. There were rose petals everywhere and Link knew exactly what Rhett needed to say. Rhett started playing his guitar and shortly after began to sing.

"On the first day of first grade, We got held in from recess, 'Cause we were writing profanity on our desks. And I wish I'd known then what I know now I coulda, won your heart before we figured out, that it matters to society if you wanna be with a man or a woman or anybody, frankly." Link was crying already, he couldn't believe what Rhett was saying to him. He just sat and listened as Rhett continued. "By high school I knew that my feelings were true, you looked at girls, I-I looked at you, well, don't get me wrong, I looked at girls too but I yearned for that sea of cornflower blue that I'd drown in every time I looked deep in your eyes." Link moved closer to Rhett which Rhett took as a good sign as he continued. "And babe, your hair grew longer and your eyes got weaker and every time I looked at you I just fell in love deeper." 

"Rhett....stop." Link said as he stood up.

"I-I-I'm so sorry Link," Rhett paused as he set his guitar down and stood up. "I just needed to tell you. 32 and a half years is a long time to keep a secret." Rhett got worried because Link wasn't facing him anymore. "Link I'm sorry." Rhett said one more time before walking back into his house Link followed closely behind. "Link lets pretend this never happened." 

"Rhett, I'm sorry. Come here." Link said grabbing Rhett's hand and moving him back outside. Once they were outside Link pulled Rhett close to his body so that there was no space between them.

"L-Link what are yo-" 

Link cut him off "This." Link said before pulling him in for a short and sweet kiss. They rested their foreheads together. "Rhett, I u-um really like you."

"Link, I-I love you." Link looked up at Rhett before pulling him back in. The kiss was slow and passionate. Link slipped his tongue between Rhett's lips. The soft exploration made Rhett let out a small moan. Link moved back, "Rhett I love you so much." Rhett reconnected their lips. After their make out session they decided that they should talk things out even though they're technically together. They sat down on Rhett's couch.

"Rhett, how long?"

"U-um like second grade." Rhett looked down at his lap. 

Link didn't like that he was looking down, so he caressed Rhett's cheek and lifted his face so that he could look into his eyes. "Rhett, baby I have liked you for as long as I can remember."

"Really?!" Rhett asked as his face lit up. Link nodded as a small smile fell on his face.

"Yes really! How long have you been wanting to tell me?"

"Ten years."

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"You had just started dating someone and I didn't want to ruin it."

"Rhett, how did I get so lucky?"

"I ask myself that every day." Rhett said as he pulled Link to his chest. They sat in comfortable silence for either 5 minutes or a half hour but time didn't matter. All that mattered was that they had finally said all that needed to be said. 

"R-Rhett will you-um will-will you be my boyfriend?" Link asked as he looked up from Rhett's chest.

"Of course." Rhett said before pulling him into a short yet very passionate kiss. 

"Rhett I have one more question."

"Hm?"

"Well you know how we would dance together sometimes, as just like friends?"

"Yep." Rhett said knowing where this was going.

"Well could we dance together, like for real?"

"Of course princess." Rhett picked up Link and carried him back outside where he had already set up Link's favourite slow song, Chasing cars.

Once Rhett his play Link let out a little giggle. 

"Rhett, you planned this?" Rhett nodded and pulled him as close as he could. They swayed to the song sharing a few kisses here and there with the occasional 'I love you' peppered in.

A/N 

Sorry it was so short and sorry for any errors I wrote this at 12am. I just love the song so I thought I'd write a little story inspired by it.

Word count: 881