Chapter 18

This chapter is mostly flashback. Time jumps are marked by the symbol ~/~/~/~/~.

Present Day
(Emma's POV)

I could barely sleep last night, all I could think about was Neal, and that he was reentering my life, and soon. The thought itself was daunting, but having Killian to think about on top of it made it that much more stressful.

I tossed all morning, and was awake way before my alarm went off, truly a first for me. When the alarm finally did go off, I was already completely dressed, and eating breakfast. Ingrid greeted me with a confused smile.

"Do you have to be at school early or something?" she asks me. I shake my head.

"Just couldn't sleep."

"Are you sure that's it Emma?" she asks concerned. She seems to be getting to know me quite well, she can normally tell when something is bothering me. She seems to really care. 

"Yeah I'm sure. I'm going to head over to Lily's before school since I'm already up," I say getting my backpack together.

"Ok have a good day."

"Thanks," I say slipping on my shoes, and getting out the door. I text Lily letting her know I'm coming over, and she texts back that she'll make us coffee.

~  ~ ~

"So what's wrong," Lily asks as soon as I get into her house. She hands me a mug hot cocoa with cinnamon instead of a coffee, my comfort drink. How does she always know?

"Nothing," I attempt to lie, but start crying while I say it, obviously I'm not so fine. "Ugh I didn't want to cry."

"What is it, please tell me Em,"

"It's a bit of a long story," I sniffle.

"Well we have time, we are early," she insists, and I tell her the story I never thought I'd tell anyone ever again.

~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~

Flashback – Emma and Neal

"Guess what I just got," I say strolling up to Neal.

"Hi babe," he says kissing me softly, "What do you have?" he asks.

"About $20 000 dollars' worth of watches. It's enough to get us out of here, now." I tell him, and his face lights up.

"You're serious?"

"Dead serious. We can fence them, then we'll have the money. We can buy whatever we want, go wherever we want. We can go to Tallahassee finally, we can leave. We don't have to be stuck here anymore, I can't be here any longer Neal, you know that." This foster family has already called the system to get me a new placement. I need to do this now, no more waiting.

"Emma..." he sighs nervously.

"Look the owner is a drunk and forgets to lock the doors. I resisted Neal, twice, but the third time the guy's just asking to get took," I explain to him.

"You got away clean?" he asks me concerned. I know he's nervous because he was just starting to teach me how to steal, but I did it, I got them. I got away clean... I'm pretty sure, no I am sure.

"Yes, there wasn't security or anything. Neal, Tallahassee," I say tugging on his shirt playfully. His mood lifts, and he pulls me into a kiss.  "I Love you,"

"I love you too. Now let's get those to a safe place until we sell them," he says getting into his car.

"Wait, look at this one, It's perfect on you," I say and put it around his wrist.