Chapter 45

Day of Graduation

(Emma's POV)

Considering it's the day I'm graduating, which is supposedly one of the best days in your life, it didn't start out so well. The ceremony starts at 10:00 am, and is a little over two hours long. Seems reasonable enough, until you account for the preparation process. We had to be at school at 8:30 for a rehearsal, next we got our cap and gowns to change into, then is was a tech rehearsal with all the spotlights and music queued up. It's just been a long morning full of stress. Now that we're finished all of that we have 20 minutes before the real ceremony.

Most of the grads are taking selfies in their cap, or sneaking off to have a drink before it all starts. You'd be surprised how many people would drink on their graduation, and also by how easy it is. At this point we're basically free from the school's grasp, and most teachers are too uninterested to care what we're up to as long as nothing disrupts the ceremony.

Parents are waiting outside the auditorium, and I know that in that crowd is Ingrid and Anna. I never knew if I'd have anyone at my graduation, but now I know I do. Not only do I have them here, but I have Killian behind the stage helping out. Heads of the departments are helping give the diplomas, and Liam is actually the MC since he was the stand in principle when Gold was away. Killian wasn't asked to be part of it, but wanted to be here for me and volunteered to help things go smoothly behind the stage.

Lily seems occupied with Victor, and I'm able to slip away behind the curtain. Killian is standing with his back to me, going over the schedule. He's wearing a casual all black outfit of jeans and a t-shirt, and a headset.

"Brother does your script have the cancellation of Gold's speech? Can you just try and say something inspirational in that slot, or maybe funny?" he asks into the headset as he rubs his forehead. I look around quickly, making sure no one else is around before coming up behind him, wrapping my arms around his midsection. "Wha- oh hello love." He does a double check that no one is around.

"How's it going?" I ask when he turns to face me, my arms staying around him.

"Ok, could be better, but don't worry about it. It'll run smoothly with or without that imp," he says, clearly agitated. He slides the headset off and it sits around his neck.

"Gold?" I infer. He nods.

"Aye, he doesn't seem to be showing up," he informs me.

"Our principle isn't coming to our grad?" I clarify. "Isn't that like part of the job description?" I scoff.

"You'd think, but the man gets away with a lot. I assume this is why he made Liam the MC, he was never coming. Anyways, enough about him. You excited to graduate?" he runs his thumb across my cheek. I melt into his touch immediately.

"We already had out last day and exams, this is more of just a show. I'm happy you're here."

"I am too, wouldn't want to miss it. Is your foster family here?"

"Yeah Ingrid and Anna are waiting in the crowd out there, and Elsa is somewhere doing last minute touch ups."

"You should be out there with your friends celebrating," he encourages.

"I want to be right here, and trust me all the celebrating happens at the Grad party after." I move my hands up around his neck, and start a kiss. He deepens the kiss, and moves his hands down my body feeling the curves that are hiding beneath the oversized gown.

"Oh my god get off of her!" someone yells which breaks us apart faster than they could finish their words. Our heads jerk towards them, and I see its Lily. Her mouth wide open. Oh shit. "What the hell was that?! Get away from her!" Lily demands. Killian takes a step back.