Chapter 25

(Emma's POV)

I don't rush in the morning, and sleep in as long as possible. Anna, after the 4th snooze, tears my sheets off my bed.

"Emma, wake up. You don't want to be late," she says, being her normal cheery self. I keep my eyes shut, and turn away from her.

"Maybe I do," I say back, hoping she'll let me be. Of course, being the persistent tween Anna is, she keeps talking to me until I'm forced to wake up. When I do get up, she's still standing there looking at me with a huge smile, expecting something. "Yes?" I ask. I'm really not in the mood for cheery after the fight I had with Killian last night. I played it over, and over in my head all night, and got no sleep.

"It's my birthday!" She squeals excitedly. Oh shit. Now after school, I have to spend the night with a group of 7, 10-12 year olds... Woohoo.

"Yeah, I knew that," I lie. I really should have remembered, this party is all she has talked about all week.

"No you forgot, but that's ok I'm not mad," she says sweetly calling me out on my bullshit. I wonder how she does that, yet is still so kind.

"Sorry, I've had a lot on my mind, Happy Birthday kid," I say, faking my excitement just for this moment. She rams into me with a hug, and I hug her back.

"Were you thinking about your boyfriend?" she asks. I take a step back in shock. How does she know?

"I don't have a boyfriend," I lie, but not convincingly enough because Anna puts her hands on her hips.

"Elsa already told me, and not to tell Ingrid. I won't, I promise." Elsa? She must think I'm still going out with that guy I made up for that imaginary double date.

"Um, thanks. You should get downstairs, I think I smell bacon," I prompt Anna, who excitedly runs downstairs, giving me time to change. I really cut myself short on time this morning, so I skip makeup entirely, and pull on jeans with a sweatshirt.

I rush downstairs, and grab a piece of bacon on my way out for the bus.

"Don't be late!" Anna calls out.

"I'm trying not to be. Have a good one kid," I say closing the front door behind me.

~ ~ ~

I reluctantly walk into math class, knowing Killian's not happy with me. I sit down in my normal seat beside Lily, and wait for the bell. When it rings, Killian stands up, and closes the door. His demeanor is strict. He's wearing all black, black shirt under his black blazer with his black tie. How diverse.

"Silence," he says, his voice booming. Everyone quiets down, and turns to him. "We are having a surprise test, you have 10 minutes to study. Absolutely no talking," he commands, and the whole class groans. What the hell? Surprise test my ass! Is this his way of getting back at me?

"Only ten minutes?" Victor asks, clearly annoyed. Killian glares at him, it's pretty intimidating.

"What was that Mr. Whale?" he challenges.

"Normally you give us a weeks' notice, why not this time?" he answers trying his best to not sound nervous, but fails.

"This time I'm testing your actual intelligence, not what you can memorize. Don't speak again Victor or you've got yourself detention," he warns. I can feel everyone around the class shy away. I just glare up at Killian, letting him know that what he's doing isn't working. "Get studying Swan," he tells me sternly, with an arch of his eyebrow. I challenge him, by not doing what he asked, and continuing to glare.