Chapter 36

(Emma's POV)

"What?" I ask Killian. "No," I snap. How could he ever think of breaking up after we just got back together?

"Emma we don't have much choice here," Killian says somberly. My tears start again. "Don't cry love," he says gently, only making my sobs louder.

"You said we'd be ok! That we'd be together, that he'd understand. What happened to that?!" I ask angrily that he's giving up so easily. We are not breaking up again, we can't. He doesn't answer, but the look in his eyes tells me all. This really is the only way.

When realization hits I can't stop my tears. I slide into his arms, and cry against his chest not caring that Liam is here. He's the reason this is all happening, he should see the aftermath, the pain. Killian strokes my hair gently.

(Killian's POV)

"Shh," I soothe Emma, but she continues to cry. I've never seen her this upset, this distraught, not even when we were fighting. My eyes meet Liam's across the room. They were stone cold when I walked in, but now they seem more somber. I can't imagine that my eyes look anything but hollow, and dark. "Hey, Emma are you going to be ok?" I ask quietly when she starts to calm down. She shakes her head no. My heart breaks seeing her like this. She rises from my chest, and dries her eyes.

"I'm going home now," she declares, and takes a deep breath. "Goodbye Mr. J, Mr. Jones," she addresses me properly. It's unsettling. She leaves the office without looking back, but I watch her for as long as I can.

"Killian..." Liam attempts to get my attention, but I interrupt him.

"Am I keeping my job boss?" I turn to him, and ask coldly.

"Of course, but Killian," he tries again.

"Enough. I did what needed to be done. I'm going to do my job," I say dryly, and leave his office. Thankfully no crowd has formed over the commotion. This is why I told Emma not to go, he needed time not ammunition. As I walk down the hallway towards my classroom all I am thinking about is Emma. How shattered she was, how cold she was on her way out. Why couldn't she have just stayed away?

~ ~ ~

(Emma's POV)

I leave the school and catch the next bus that comes by. I need to get away from here. From him. Is this really it for us?

I sulk through the whole bus ride until I get off at a stop near Granny's. There I grab a hot cocoa with cinnamon, or course, and head off the docks.  The wind blows my hair in every direction, but my last concern right now is what my hair looks like. I make my way to the end of the dock, and sit on the edge after I take off my shoes. I'm not sure why I'm here.

My feet splash in the water below me. It's freezing. Understandable since it's October. It sends a shiver up my spine, but I don't remove my feet. I stare out into the ocean, watching the waves is calming. 'Enjoy the breeze, the ocean air' Killian's voice echoes through my head.

That's why I'm here, because it reminds me of Killian. This is where he feels at home, and I feel at home when I'm with him. Just thinking of him brings back all the good memories we've had.

~ ~ ~

After a while I decide to make my way back to the house, and talk to Ingrid. I can't imagine she'll be happy that I didn't go to any of my afternoon classes, but I can think of something to tell her.

I walk into the house, and Ingrid is sitting on the couch in the living room.

"Hi," I say gently, testing the waters. I've felt the wrath of a lot of foster parents, but for some reason Ingrid is different. She actually cares. It's a lot harder to disappoint someone when they actually think something of you. "I can explain,"