Chapter 23

(Emma's POV)

It's the first day of November, and a chill has definitely hit Storybrooke. I throw on an old jean jacket I have to stay warm.

I talk with Lily and Ruby before class like I usually do. We don't have much to talk about so we just go sit in Math a few minutes before the bell. We go over a question we all had trouble on from the homework last night. None of us could figure it out, so automatically I turn to call Killian over. He helps me whenever I need it, plus he's the teacher he knows what the answer is.

"Hey Ki... Mr. Jones, can you help us with question 16?" I ask, my cheeks blushing like crazy. I almost called him Killian! That would have been terrible. He tries his best to pretend he didn't hear my slip up, and walks over to our desks.

"Of course, what's causing you girls' trouble?" he asks, and stands closer to Lily and Ruby, taking the pressure off of me. As much as I love him near me, I'm grateful. He explains the question to us, and we all figure it out. Class starts, and Killian lectures for 15 minutes before the school phone rings, interrupting him.

"Jones," he barks into the phone. He listens to the persons on the other side. "Aye, I'll send them down right away," he responds, hanging up the phone. He turns back to the class, and his eyes narrow on me. "Miss Swan, you're wanted in the office," he announces.

Immediately I figure that it must be another chat with Mr. Gold. Yippee. Killian is stewing, I can see it in his eyes.

"Ok," I say standing up, and grabbing my bag.

"Leave your stuff, I'm sure you'll be back," he tells me, but what he really means is 'come back when you're finished, and explain yourself'. I nod, put my bag down, and walk out of the classroom. Great, now I have to deal with Killian's anger.

I make my way to the office, and this time I just walk right into Mr. Gold's office, no knocking or anything. After everything Neal told me about his father, I have no respect for him, and I won't pretend I do just because he's my principle.

"What do you want Gold?" I ask before looking around. When I do I notice that Neal is sitting in one the two chairs in front of Mr. Gold's desk. Gold himself is sitting in his chair on the other side.

"Emma," Neal says looking at me with his brown eyes.

"Neal," I look to Gold, breaking our eye contact. "Um, is there a reason I'm here?" My voice is shaky. Why is my voice shaking?

"Oh, yes, I've allotted you the job of showing Neal around the school," Gold explains to me. What? No.

"What? I'm really the last person that should be showing him around, I only got here this year,"

"Well if you won't do it, I will," Gold says getting out of his seat. Dammit, he's bargaining with me. Either I'm the one who's in pain, or Neal is. I've already done so much to Neal, I can't force him with his father too.

"No, I'll do it," I speak up, and finally look over at Neal. "You're ok with that?" I ask apologetically. If I was him, I wouldn't want to take a tour from the girl who sent me to juvie.

"Yeah, let's get out of here," he says leading the way out of the office. I glare at Gold on my way out.

We walk down the halls in silence for a while. Neither of us are sure what to say or do. I don't think either of us expected to see each other again, yet here we are. The longer the silence goes on the harder it is, so I decide to just speak.

"You have a schedule?"

"Yeah here," he hands it over to me, and I take it, making sure our hands don't touch. I look it over.