Chapter 5

The fever had started around two days later. The cold room had just given the rest to Dean's already weakened immune system and the fact that he had been soaking wet didn't really help him. Now he was either sweating or shivering, his weak body barely able to keep functioning, to keep Dean alive. To make things even worse some of his wounds inflicted by John were infected now, keeping the fever high.

Dean thought he was dying, he did.Everything hurt, his whole body felt like it was on fire, he could barely move. His joints hurt and whenever he shifted and just coming close to touching one of his infected cuts left him whimpering.

Thanks to Crowley John allowed to get Dean some medicine, took a small break from trying to break Dean. He didn't stop completely, he just laid off the physical torture and went back to causing psychological trauma, determined to break every last ounce of will left in Dean. John had to make sure Dean would die in the end, he didn't really care about how. Of course, he would love to see it if Dean died from being tortured but he would also accept it if Dean committed suicide. Both things would lead to his goal and that was what mattered the most to John Winchester.

While John was trying his best to break Dean, Crowley tried his best to keep Dean alive. He sneaked in small bits of food, often chocolate or crackers but also medicine after the fever has started, the medicine Dean needed so badly but John wouldn't give him, especially not those pain killers Crowley had organized. The man worried about Dean, knew that it couldn't go on like this forever. He had to act fast, give the police hints to Dean's whereabouts but he didn't really dare to tell too much. Alistair was watching him like a hawk and one wrong move could mean his death and he was far too fond of living to just risk his life that easily. It would have a good cause but what did the teen's life really matter to him? He wasn't as cruel as John or Alistair but he also was selfish, his own life meant more to him than a stranger's.

It was odd though that Alistair had just watched, had let John do all of the torturing. The man loved torturing somebody, he loved the pain he inflicted, he loved the seconds where he could see the hope and will to live leave his victim's eyes. Additionally he had John in his hand, could order anything and the black-haired man would do it without giving it a second thought. Maybe Alistair wanted Dean to be fully conscious or he just thought Dean wasn't quite worth it – yet. This could change in a matter of seconds and Crowley knew it would be over quickly then, especially if he didn't manage to give the police all the information they needed. He just hoped Alistair wouldn't go down on Dean too soon now, it would definitely help him with finding a way to give the police the information they needed.

*~*

Apparently the police had gotten some anonymous hints where Dean could be and the police was following every of those leads, even though they often turned out to be wrong and just lead them to nothing. These hints seemed to be the most helpful though, seemed to get them a little bit further on their path to finding Dean.

Cas and Sam were following almost every step the police took, got their hopes up every time only to be disappointed again. It was taking a toll on both of them, especially Sam. Everybody almost forgot that the kid was just twelve, that this was way too much to go through in this age. Ever since Dean had been kidnapped, Sam carried himself differently.

Sam might have been doing things every kid age was doing, going to the cinema, playing with his friends, watching movies. But this, Dean disappearing and him possibly never seeing his brother ever again, was the last straw. Sam had had already too much things that would have ruined anybody but his older brother, his role model, his best friend being taken away? Dean had been everything to Sam, had taken care of the younger Winchester, taught him everything he could possibly need. Sam had realized just now how much Dean had sacrificed for him, how easy it would have been to just look away when Sam had done something to piss John off. And he never thanked his older brother for that, not even once. Having realized that he might never be able to do that was tearing Sam to pieces and guilt was practically eating him alive. The smiling, outgoing kid had turned reserved and quiet.