Chapter 13

Even as they reached the hospital there was nothing they could do.

Cas and Sam were just sitting next to each other, both of them lost in their own thoughts. Both of them had become slaves of their imagination, they both were thinking about what would happen if Dean really was to die. They didn't like that thought, who would like that thought after all, but they couldn't stop themselves from thinking about it. A life without Dean, a life without Sam's older brother and Castiel's boyfriend just seemed dark, didn't seem like anything they would ever want.

Jody was waiting with them but the woman was pacing in the waiting area, lost in her own thoughts. She had learned to love Dean like her own son, had learned to protect the shy blond. The past months had been hard on her, too, she wasn't any different from Cas or Sam. The only possible difference was that she didn't let her despair show the way the two teenagers would show it. She still tried to stay strong, tried to show them that hope wasn't lost yet and she wouldn't give up until the last moment.

But she was worrying about a future without Dean as well. She knew how important the blond was for Sam and how deeply Cas had fallen for the blond. She knew that without Dean things would be a lot different than before. They all were deeply scarred by the recent events, they all would need time to heal but without the most important person in their life that would be difficult and Jody seriously didn't know how many victims this would take. She just hoped that the family that they had been building would allow them to get through this, whatever happened.

Jody looked up when she heard someone approaching and furrowed her eyebrows at the seemingly shy girl thatwas coming closer to them. The girl wasn't older than Sam, so she probably was around 12, maybe a bit younger. The girl tilted her head and ran over to Sam, sitting down next to him and taking his hand.

Jody just smiled knowingly at that and placed her hand on Cas's shoulder, motioning him to follow her and let Sam alone with that girl. Of course, later she would ask Sam everything about that girl but right now she would leave him alone. It was a common knowledge that teenagers hated it when their parents would ask them questions in front of someone they liked and Jody didn't want to be a parent like that. She would trust Sam but later she would still want to know everything about the blonde girl.

Cas looked over to Sam for a second and smiled a bit before he stood up and followed Jody out of the waiting area. Of course, he was happy for Sam, was happy that a girl was his friend, maybe even more, but he was a bit jealous. He wanted to have that, too, but he couldn't because his boyfriend, his Dean, was still examined and the doctors had said earlier that they would probably have to perform surgery on the blond to stop internal bleeding and such.

As Cas and Jody had left them alone, Sam sighed deeply and squeezed the girl's hand gently, looking at her with a small smile.

"Hey, Jess."

The girl smiled at him and wrapped her arms around him, gently rubbing her hand over Sam's back. "Heya, Sammy. My mum told me that they have finally found Dean and I thought.. I wanted to see if you were okay. Not that I expect you to be but... I wanted to see you," she rambled and blushed lightly.

Sam just chuckled softly and shook his head slightly. "Thanks. That means much to me, I guess," he said softly and kissed Jessica's cheek, causing the blush on her cheeks to deepen. At that he just started grinning a little wider than he had been the past few weeks and finally, like a curse had been broken, that smile was genuine and not some show to reassure the people around him. He really felt better than he had been feeling lately.