Chapter 15

"Hello? Cas, is everything alright?"

Castiel almost dropped his phone as he heard his father's voice after so many years of not being able to hear it. It was so casual, it didn't sound like Chuck Novak was bothered by anything. Still, a little bit of worry was ringing in his words or at least Cas hoped so.

"Cas? Come on, answer me. Is everything alright? Are you hurt? Where are your brothers? Or Anna? Is one of them hurt? Cas, please, you're scaring me."

By now Cas was able to detect the worry without any difficulty. His father's voice was shaking slightly and the man obviously was trying to stay calm and not freak out. Maybe it was then that Castiel realized that maybe he should say something to cease his father's worries.

"Uh.. Hey, dad. Yeah, I'm fine and.. I don't actually know about any of my brothers except Alfie. He's fine and he was just visiting with Balthie. I, uhm.. I just wanted to talk to you. I missed you, dad."

He knew his voice was quiet and barely detectable but he knew that his father heard him. It had always been like this - he was quiet and his voice was often overheard in the chaos of their household but then again his father seemed to hear him whenever he was talking about something that held some kind of importance to him. That reassurance that he would be heard even when he was quiet had helped the young Novak a lot, it had helped him to get through high school and through tough times.

His father's soft sigh that was obviously relieved made Cas smile a little but it also made Castiel wonder about why his father had left. If he worried and cared this much, why would he leave his family? That wasn't only irresponsible but it also held a painful reminder for his family, one that only meant being afraid of abandonment.

"Good, uh.. That's very good. But why don't you know about your brothers? What do you mean with that? I thought you were living with them? I told Michael and Lucifer to take care of you!"

The booming voice made him freeze for a second before he realized what his father just said. Chuck had told his older brothers to take care of him and they still abandoned him and put him in some foster home? That just didn't add quite up to what had happened to Cas but he wouldn't be able to change that anyway.

He swallowed softly before he spoke again, closing his eyes while doing so. "They said they weren't able to care for a teen and that they were too busy with their work to be able to give me a stable life, the one I needed. I'm living in a foster home now, I have been living there for two years. I haven't heard from any of them in more than a year, I guess they were glad they didn't have to worry about their baby brother any more."

Now it was Cas who was faced with silence. It didn't really matter much to him but it still was a bit weird to have to wait until the person on the other line found the right way to voice their thoughts. He didn't exactly know how long that would take now but what did it matter? It probably was a lot to process for his father, it wasn't something that would happen everyday. Anyway, he had heard his father's voice in a long time, he would wait until his father had found the right words to say like he had always done in the past.