Chapter 3- The Mate

After the main course, desert was served, chocolate cheesecake with sprinkles whipped cream and a cherry dipped in kiwi and strawberry sauce. I ate Every bite. After dinner, we all made our way back to the grand ballroom where all the new mates began to dance to slow music in the dim light of the ballroom. The chandelier casting glows over the dance floor making the romantic atmosphere appear slightly creepy. Momo and I stood leaning against the wall as we talked.
"The Chandelier is so pretty." Monique says and I flash her a smile as I start singing the chorus to Sia's song 'Chandelier' and she laughed.
"As fun as it would be to swing from the chandelier, I would prefer a dance with you." The prince from the dining room said as he takes my hand and drags me unto the dance floor pulling my body close to his.
"So Jessabell, how old are you?" He asks casually as he sweeps me across the dance floor.
"Sevente- what did you just call Me?" I asked shocked that he knew I had lied about my name. Lying to the price could be considered treason and I could be punished severely for it.
"Jessabell, that is your real name, yes?" The prince asked staring at me intently.
"Yes but how did you know."
"I can't tell you that little mate." He said staring into my eyes with his smoldering Gray eyes.
"Do not call me that." I hissed at him as he spun me then pulled me back against his chest.
"Call you what?"
"Little mate." I said "As a matter of fact, you should probably go find your mate and stop dancing with me." I attempted to pull away from him but he tightened his grip on my fingers and around my waist so that I felt his fingers digging painfully into my sides.
"I have found my mate." The prince said as the song came to an end, he released my fingers but kept his arm around my waist. I brought my fingers up to examine them, only to see my skin starting to bruise with the imprint of his long fingers. I rubbed my hand and he noticed. He took my wrist and looked at my bruising fingers which were turning a deep shade of red.
"I'm sorry I hurt you." He said and kissed my fingers, I pulled my hand from his.
"Stay away from me." I hissed and walked over to Monique who was holding my purse, she was engaged in a conversation with the other prince, I still don't know which of them is which. I grabbed my purse from her.
"Monique, drive Derek and Todd home, I'm leaving." I said fetching the car keys from my purse and handing them to her.
"What's wrong?" She asked concerned
"Nothing, I'm tired." I said "I'll see you tomorrow, Good night your majesty." I said and stepped away from them.
I walked into the lobby, and handed the escort sash to the lady at the front desk then walked out front.
Oh hell, I thought, I gave the keys to Monique and I don't have a drive.
"I'm so stupid." I murmered talking off my heels and began walking towards the bus stop.
"You're not stupid." A deep masculine voice said behind me causing me to jump and spin around loosing my footing and fall to the ground. However before I could land on the ground the prince from before snaked an arm around my waist and pulled Me up.
"Are you alright?" He asked concerned as he looked me over.
"I was before you showed up!" I replied snarkily stepping away from him. "Wait a second, did you follow me out here?"
"I wanted to make sure you were okay." He said
"Shouldn't you be inside with your mate?" I asked
"If you would come back inside, I would be." He said touching my hair. I glared at him
"I'm going home so you can just go back inside."
"Let me take you home then." He offered
"No"
"Come on Jessabell I'll have my driver drive us."
"No, I'd rather walk, or get dragged by a bus." I said bluntly staring at him. I watched as his irises darkened and the edges took on a glowing purple color.
"I will take you home," he said firmly, his voice deeper and a little sinister. "If you refuse, I will drag you back into the ball and you will stay until it is over, understand?" He growled and I nodded silently. He's scaring me with his voice and eyes.
He placed his hand on my lower back and led me to the valet, when the valet came with the black Bently, a middle aged man with blonde hair exited the hotel and came over to us.
"Ready to go prince Demetri?" He asked opening the back door, Demetri motioned for me to get in the car and I did as he spoke to who I assumed was his driver. I scooted over to the other side of the car trying to distance myself from prince Demetri. This means that Monique was with Damien tonight.
Demetri entered the car and turned to look at me.
"Jessabell, are you okay?" He asked scooting closer to me. I nodded and looked at him. I could barely see him in the dark car. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close so that our bodies were pressed against each other.
"Your majesty, I'm really appreciative of you taking me home and all but you shouldn't be this close to me. After all, you have a mate and this is wrong." I said trying to push him away. He held me tighter and grabbed my jaw gently turning my face to his.
"You don't get it do you?"
"Get what?" I asked confused as he chuckled and rolled his eyes.
"Of course you don't. You're only seventeen." He said letting me go and shaking his head.
"What does my age have to do with anything?" I asked glaring at the way he made me sound young and stupid. Maybe I am young and stupid. I did get in a car with a stranger.
"Don't worry about it right now."
"I will worry about it right now. You just insulted me. I hissed at him.
"I did not insult you Jessabell." He said
"Yes you did, you said I wouldn't understand because I was young and stupid."
"I never said that."
"Well that's what you implied." I said with an attitude.
"Jessabell, what I meant is that you will not understand until you're eighteen. I never intended to offend you." He said.
"Whatever." I said looking out the window.
"Excuse me?" He growled and I turned to him and smiled sweetly
"You are excused." I said batting my eyelash.
"You will not speak to me that way."
"Are you, like, waiting for an apology or something? My prince" I hissed sarcastically as I rolled my eyes and turned to look out the window.
I felt two rough hands grab my shoulders and spin me around, I gasped in shock as my eyes clashed with glowing purple eyes which held a startling amount of fury.
"Not because you are my mate means you are allowed to speak to me like that." He growled and my eyes widened in shock.
"What?" I squeaked. I was frozen in shock, then Demetri's eyes widened as he realized what he had said.I watched the purple fade from his irises as his grey eyes returned.
"Jessabell, I didn't want to tell you like this." He said sighing as I still stared at him. I'm shocked, I'm the future alpha's mate. I don't believe this. I laughed and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"What's funny?" He asked and I chuckled
"You, my prince, are delusional for thinking that I am your mate." I said snickering.
"What are you saying?" He asked and I stopped laughing and stared at him in the eyes.
"We," I motioned between me and him "are not mates." I said and he growled.
"You are seventeen so you wouldn't know I am you mate, but I have been searching for you for four years at that ball, but because you aren't of age you couldn't come so I never found you. And tonight you came as an escort and I was stuck on your scent." He explained and I still stared at him in disbelief. My mate is one of the most dangerous werewolves in werewolf history. I don't want a prince as a mate. I have seen how the Queen is always flanked by guards and always with somebody. I need my privacy, and if I become royalty I won't have privacy.
"Say something Jessabell." He said and I remaind silent. I will have to move to the capital city, I won't see my family, not that I really care about them, they dont even remember that i exist, but what about my friends, Monique, Derek, Todd, and all those other kids at school. What about my football scholarship to that university in London.
"Jessabell." Prince Demetri said and I ignored him. I don't want to be a Luna.
"Jessabell please s-"
"Stop talking." I said cutting him off, "Just please stop talking." I leaned my head against his shoulder as he took my hand and kissed my fingers. I let him, too tired to fight him or yank my hand away.
So I met my mate before my eighteenth birthday. He's a prince, the prince of werewolves. This is worse than if I had gotten a human for a mate.