Chapter 3: Grey Lake

"You sure you okay ? Was it something I did? I'm sorry...  The handholding. I just thought that maybe you'd enjoy it as much as I did. I'm so stu- Jacob! It's not that. I just...  I don't know. I just saw something. I must've fell asleep or something. Or...  I don't know. "Tell me... what did you see?" , He said as we walked down the sidewalk towards his car. A little boy. H-he was bleeding and his mouth...  Oh god (covers my face  with my hands) I saw- "A girl drowning?" How do you know ? "Get in the car. I'll show you " ... We drove in eerie silence. I was so petrified. I stared out of the foggy window as we drove deeper into the country and pass some tall trees. We drove into a forest and I looked at Jacob. His face was blank,  He had No sign of emotion. I wanted to ask him where we were going or anything to get him talking but his blank face was all enough to keep me silent. I put my head on my window, until we made an abrupt stop. Jacob got out and walked to my door. He opened it and helped me out of the car. He led me a few feet away to a big body of water. Through the fog,  I could see what looks like an old tree stump rising lazily above the water's surface. That's what I saw !! But,  it was a whole tree. A big dead tree ! "This tree has been a stump for 100 years. I would know. I am 175 years old. What ? Jacob,  please. I'm really scared and I don't want to play anymore . Can we just go? He faces me and look me in the eyes, this time,  his green eyes glowing in the darkness " I wish it was a game or a joke. I wish I could take a beautiful girl on a date without scaring Her to death. I wish you wouldn't accuse me of joking when everything I'm saying to you is true" But how? Who are you? Why are you here? "I am a creature that has died but is able to live on earth,  caused by voodoo spells of a gypsy. To stay alive,  we kill off humans who Don't serve any purpose to live,  sucking their souls. What?!? You're sick! How can you possibly say anyone doesn't deserve to live? I turn to run, but Jacob grabs my arm tightly. "That's the bad part. I never asked for this. I had a bad childhood,  and was left for dead,  when an old gypsy lady decided to save me. Some of my kind kills anybody,  babies and elderly. I'm not like them.  I choose people who kill others,  reckless people,  jerks, rapists. Not innocent sinners. I promise... I'd never hurt you,  nor anybody else. But why me? (shakey voice) He grabs my hands "I have feelings for you. I barely know you,  but in your eyes,  I know everything. I have that ability. I believe that you are one of the most beautiful out of all of my years of living. I cannot go another day without you. I also want to protect you...  There is some crazy motherfvckers in this town who Will eat your heart out. literally. I can help you. trust me. I want to go home. please.... I need to think this through. Jacob and I walked to the car. I got in and stayed silent. I fell asleep on the ride back,  but as soon as the car stopped,  I woke. "Is your mom home?" N-No....  Business Trip. "I can come and keep you company if you like. I mean,  it isn't safe for you to be alone. I'll be fine...  "If you need me,  I'll always be around " As I get out of the car,  I speedwalk to my porch,  look back, and see Jacob's green eyes glowing as He sped off.