Scalaknight

"Here you go.." Narina said, setting a tray down with tea and a tray with snacks. "Sorry about the less than welcoming attitude, I've had a long day.. and it's kinda out of place when somebody just walks into your home and says.. "hey I'm your fiance." especially.. well.. since we're both.."

"Th-thank you." said Mitsune, picking up a cup of tea, and a plate of snacks. "And, you weren't a girl when you were promised to me."

"How did that happen anyways?" Narina asked.

"In Ryuu culture, if our tribe leader has a best friend, a brother in arms, if that person has a or grandson, and the other has a daughter granddaughter, or the other way around, they are automatically engaged from birth."

Narina frowned. "So.. Wild Dragon.. I mean Gramps.. he was friends with your pops? Wait.. so dad.. so.. How old are you?"

"Your age.. I was born later in father's life."

"Then shouldn't you be pledged to my dad?" Narina asked.

"Tradition dictates at least only a 4 year difference in age." said Mitsune. 

Narina glared into the distance. "Damn.. did Gramps think he could just hand me off without asking me?"

"No.. I think his words were, 'That kid's free to make his own decisions, he's living among humans, and that's how it should be.'" said Mitsune. 

"Damn straight." said Narina. 

"What a load of crap!" The boy from earlier had not touched his tea or snacks. "You dare tread on our traditions like that? You WILL marry Mitsune, and show your respect!"

Narina frowned. "Um.. so I'm taking you've got nothing against gay marriage.. "

"Don't mind Garac." said Mitsune. "He has a heavy respect for tradition, and still fails to understand that you have grown up in a differing environment."

Narina nodded. "It's cool, I think after battling an super powered planet busting monster from beneath the earth, I'm not fazed much anymore by anything."

"Garac, Yukata-san was nice enough to provide us with food and drink, please don't dishonor her." said Mitsune.

Garac frowned and sighed. "Fine... Itadakimasu. "

Mitsune put her hands together and said the same quietly. "Itadakimasu.."

Narina blinked with surprise. "You.. er.. do that too?"

"Do what?"

"Say that before you eat." said Narina. "I-I thought my family were the only ones who practiced Japanese traditions."

"The Ryuu Tribe takes heavy pride in our Japanese origins." said Mitsune. "We are all fluent in the language as well, and many of our children don't learn English till they are a little older. "

"English.. yeah, that's what the common tongue was called during the 21st century, before the war.." Narina muttered. "Well, if you can speak Japanese.. then.. I guess I finally have somebody else to talk to in it besides my mom and dad.. eheheh.."

Mitsune smiled, then she abruptly switched to Japanese. "So you can understand me then?"

Narina nodded, and responded back in Japanese. "Yep, you bet! Though I'm not sure how my fluency compares to yours.."

"Oh this is ridiculous!" Garac groaned. "While you two have your tea and exchange stories, our families are out there dying!!"

Narina's eyes flashed. "Wait.. what is he talking about?"