True Family

One Year Ago

She shouldn't have let this hurt her.. and yet it was hurting deeply. 

Ever since she had discovered her heritage, Narina knew that there might be some racism. Ryuu people were considered terrifying savages by some of the richer community, she knew that. But she always thought that the prejudice would be the same as how those who lived on the top of tree looked at those on the Roots..  after all.. Narin Jousuke was used to that.. 

But Narina didn't expect the hatred to be this deep. 

Narina huddled under the covers of the bed in the guest room, still in her day clothes, not having bothered to even undress. She bit her lip, willing herself not to let any form of emotion creep out. As a former guy, it would be embarrassing to start crying..

It was silly now Narina thought about it. How girls were expected to cry whenever they wanted, and guys needed to hide their emotions to seem more macho.. she supposed now she was female she didn't need to worry about macho appearances anymore..  should she just let the waterworks come on out?

Well.. too late for that.. she only just realized that her cheeks were unusually wet. 

She had really and dearly wanted Ezra's family to like her..

She remembered how when she went to Stoor or Nina's houses, their families would welcome Narin with open arms, grinning and clapping him on the back.  Even after they found out about Narina's female mishap, they just gave a good natured laugh about how Narin had bumbled up.. and then clapped her on the back all over again..

The people of the Roots and the Privileged rich were very different indeed..

Narina peeked out from under the blankets, hoping that Ezra was standing there, waiting to talk to her.. maybe reassure her.. but nobody was there...

Narina blinked a little, wondering if Ezra would mind being woken up. 

Of course she wouldn't.. not after that disaster of a dinner. Anyways, Narina wanted to make sure Ezra knew she would never judge her based on how her mother acted. They were friends through and through.

However, when Narina peeked into Ezra's bedroom, which was filled with posters of famous water based heroes and model guns hanging on the wall, she found an empty bed.

Narina froze. it was 12 midnight.. Ezra NEVER went to sleep any later than 10:30.. it was like an internal clock for her.. she went all exhausted after that time.. no way she would stay up this late.. something felt very wrong..

Narina hurried to the dark dining room to find that the front door was slightly open. Narina felt her heart throb fast as she grabbed her jacket and scarf from the coat hanger nearby and pulled on the new boots that Ezra had recently bought her on their trip to the mall. 

She opened the door and found a ring of sizzling burned grass outside.

Fire was Ezra's weakness. if the air was hot enough, Ezra's body began to lose moisture thanks to her body being very water-like in nature.. heat weakened her, making her easier to fight, much like with a fish out of water.. 

But still, even armed with a flame thrower, one couldn't take down Ezra easily.. it had to be somebody very formidable.."

Narina stooped next to the burned grass to find it wasn't just burned, it was in cinders.. and the ground underneath the grass had turned molten.. 

"Oh crap.." Narina muttered. "No no no no.."

Narina sniffed the air, using her superior scent to look for the trail of fuel that hung in the air..