Benjamin: Persia's New King

Esther POV

This morning I woke up with a heavy heart. My husband Xerxes is dead. We have laid him to rest earlier in the day. I am now being arraigned as queen for the last time. I have to place the crown Xerxes once wore upon Benjamin's head. Of course it isn't the exact crown but he holds a few of the jewels as well as King Darius before him. Looking at my son is like looking into the face of Xerxes again.

"Your highness your liter is waiting, I know this must be hard for you. Everyone in the palace knows how much you loved the king." Hatach spoke while embracing. I am grateful for his years of friendship.

"Let's do this one last time after today I am no longer queen and no longer wish to be called Esther but Hadassah." I answered exiting what was once Xerxes chambers. The room will be handed over to Benjamin later tonight.

As I went through the corridors that led to the throne room. I remembered all of the memories we once shared.

[Flashback]

While I walk through the palace with Hegai I am curious as to my being summoned. We turn down a dimly lit corridor and I start to inwardly panic. I have never seen this part of the palace before. Why is no one else in this area? Why is it extremely quiet? Why is it so far away from every other bedchamber? My thoughts were interrupted by Hegai.

"Seat yourself on the stool and read the scroll. It is the chronicles of the King, the royal diary. Through these doors you are no longer a candidate, you are a servant. Remember the protocol to approach uninvited is death." he said.

I looked up at him with realization of what was behind those golden doors we stopped at.

"I read for the King, alone? Like this?" I replied taking in my inadequate attire.

He shrugged and I walked into the room with caution. I had never seen the King up close. I felt very nervous to even be in the same room as him. Anyways I sat on the stool like I was supposed to and opened the scroll and began to read.

"Daily entry 23. Egyptian wheat reserves were reported at half the normal levels due to a recent drought. Admiral Xtes was honored for serving twenty years in the Royal Fleet. After a lengthy speech, he promptly keeled over and died." I giggled after reading that but continued on.

"25. Three herd of sheep were stolen from Dirmalmirah, Satrap of Midea. He requests that the crown send out the proper authority."

I realized this sounded just like the story of Jacob so I began to tell it.

"And so Jacob, also a shepherd by trade, was sent off into the far, far-off land where he came across the fair Rachel tending her father's sheep. He was smitten, and went and rolled the stone from the well, and watered her flock for her. Then Jacob kissed Rachel and lifted up his voice and wept with joy. When Laban, Rachel's father, heard of this, he said to Jacob, "Should you serve me for nothing? Tell me, what shall your wages be?" Jacob said, "I will serve you seven years for your daughter Rachel." So Jacob served seven years tending Laban's sheep. And they only seemed but a few days, for the love he had for her. Then Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled." So Laban threw a great wedding feast, but in the dark of the evening Laban brought his older daughter in to Jacob. And, behold, in the morning it was Leah, not Rachel. Jacob was shocked. He said to Laban, "What is this thou hast done unto me? Did I not serve with thee for Rachel? Why, then, have you beguiled me?"

I was interrupted by Xerxes' voice behind me. When did he move? How come I never noticed his movements? I was honestly terrified of how he would react.

"Why, then, have you beguiled me? I must admit that never before has such a tale been found in the pages of a royal diary. Here I expect to be lulled to sleep by tedious reports, instead I'm beguiled by a love story. And how ends your tale? This Jacob, he's able to have his bride? He's able to have her?" he inquires as walks from behind me to where he was originally behind the curtains. The look on his face was one of expectancy. I needed to answer and quickly.