Time To Heal: Revelations Of The Present

King Benjamin POV

I layed awake watching Sarah in the early morning light. She was nuzzled up against my chest. I felt such guilt knowing this is the most time we've spent together in months.

"Good Morning my love. Why are you staring at me?" She asked.

"Its nothing dear go back to sleep." I said sighing.

"Benjamin this is what I've been talking about. You don't include me in anything or talk to me anymore. Not to mention we haven't been intimate in months. Did I do something wrong? Do you not desire my company or my love?" She inquired with a hurt expression on her face.

"Sarah I don't want to discuss this right now. I have to meet with my father in a few minutes." I said immediately standing and exiting her bedchamber.

After being arraigned I made my way to the throne room. Hegai said that Xerxes demanded my presence. I wasn't sure why this was so urgent. Persia was fine and at peace for once in my 5 years as king.

I entered and felt like a child again. I could feel his stare as it fell upon me. I dropped my head and waited at the bottom of the stairs awaiting his permission to approach.

He pointed his sceptre towards me and I ascended the stairs. The look on his face was stern. I remember that one all too well, he was disappointed about something.

"Benjamin please sit next to me and tell me what's going on with you." He spoke.

"As I said when you arrived Persia is doing just fine, my lord. There's nothing else to report." I answered truthfully.

"Benjamin, what's going on with you and Sarah? She looked completely saddened at dinner last night." He asked.

"Well our marriage is a little strained but we're okay." I said lying slightly.

"Strained? You are putting her before Persia right?" He queried.

"She knows how much I love her." I answered.

"Of course she does my son. I mean why wouldn't she feel as if you don't love her anymore? Why would she pray to God for months on how to win your heart? Why would she cry herself to sleep every night after an argument with you?" He rebutted sarcastically.

"What are you talking about? We disagree but that's normal." I said irritated.

"Disagreements and arguments are two different things. She's your wife not a concubine. Treat her like the queen you promised her she was. Don't make the same mistakes I made with your mother." He said.

"What really happened because you've always said that?" I inquire.

"We argued for almost a year before you we're born. So much so I said something I regretted later. I told her that no matter my fate after the war I would no longer share it with her and that if she came before me again I would kill her. She walked out the library in tears. I never knew the truth. That the man I saw her with was Mordecai and that she was told by Memucan that the Jews were to be murdered. She didn't know everything that was discussed in court so she came to ask and I thought she was being used as a pawn and complaining. If I had known she was being genuine in her inquiries I would've responded differently." He said as a look of regret crossed his face.

"I haven't said anything like that though." I respond.

"Oh but you did my son. During the first year of your reign. You said that she had to live with whatever decisions you made. You don't listen to her when she has an appropriate solution. I know because I talk to her. You disregarding her is disobeying me. They're my words not hers." He rebutted.

I suddenly felt like an errant child. He was trying to help me through my wife and I was too arrogant to listen. I hung my head and a few tears slid down my face.

"She wants out this marriage doesn't she?" I ask.

"Actually she doesn't but that won't mean she won't resent you because of your actions." He replied.

"What should I do? I can't tell her that my distance is because I'm afraid." I said.

"If you don't things will only get worse." He said and then left the room.

Minutes later Sarah appeared at the threshold. I smiled and she returned it.

"May I enter?" She asked.

Queen Sarah POV

Benjamin nodded and I ran into his open arms. Feeling his chest shake I looked up into his tear filled eyes. In all our years of marriage I've only seen him cry once, when Xerxes died. This must be affecting him as much as it is affecting me. Our marriage is in shambles.

"Talk to me please Benjamin. I can't help if you don't tell me." I said consoling him.

"Sarah, sweetheart my problem is you. I'm afraid that you will leave me. I'm afraid that I won't be the king my father was or better. I'm afraid that I won't be an amazing father to our children. I may look strong but there are times I feel weak." He said.

I had no words with which to respond so I wrapped him in my arms tight. Placing a sweet kiss on his lips I saw him melt into my love.

"Thank you, that's all I've ever wanted from you. To know that I mattered and you still loved me like when we were teenagers. That our marriage mattered just as much as Persia." I said.

"You always mean more to me. I apologize my love. Maybe we should pray together." He said.

"I would like that very much." I respond.

We prayed on the balcony together for the first time in years. I knew now that our hearts and marriage will heal. I'm thankful God answered my prayers. I'm also thankful Xerxes has returned because Benjamin always listens to him.

King Xerxes POV

My children were on track again. Next up Raquel and Isaac. He's still afraid of becoming king in the future. I did great for being back 2 days. My wife is happier and has closure. There's still so much healing to come.

Hey loves,

I know it's been a long wait but I'm pretty busy these days with my job. I hope you enjoy and hopefully I can get one more chapter in soon.

The family is starting come back together and that's very important. Another member is soon departing.

Until next time.........

-Queen Liv