The Future King Has Returned

Prince Isaac POV

I was arriving by night in Susa. My plan was to surprise Raquel. I spent a few months in Israel in the synagogue. It was an amazing experience being in the presence of God. I'm ready to return to my royal responsibilities though.

"Go not by the main gate. I wish not for the princess to be alerted to my coming." I ordered the Immortals whom were with me.

Passing through the secret gate I slipped into the palace. Quietly entering my chambers I found my wife asleep clinging to my pillows. I chuckled inwardly. Disrobing I slid in beside her. She subconsciously snuggled into my chest.

"I love you Raquel." I whispered kissing her forehead.

"I love you too Isaac." She mumbled.

A few seconds later she sat straight up and blinked seeing me laying there. I smiled warmly at my queen. She immediately engulfed me in an embrace.

"My prince when did you return?" She inquired sitting in my lap.

"I've been here all of fifteen minutes." I said.

She didn't reply just laid her head upon my shoulder. I fell backwards onto the bed taking her with me. Together we drifted into a peaceful slumber.

In the morning I arose early to meet with Benjamin and the other princes. Entering the throne room I gazed up into their faces as they nodded respectively. Sitting upon my throne I awaited the king's presence. Minutes later Benjamin strode in looking more like Xerxes than ever. He even wore one of his robes.

Once we were all present he began

Once we were all present he began. After hearing the daily reports on our outlying lands he turned to me.

"Let's welcome back my brother and our Prince Isaac. I trust your travels went well." He said expectantly.

"Yes my lord its was safe and lengthy." I replied to which he chuckled.

"Believe me I am well aware. Anyways  your presence at this next banquet is required. I've spoken with Princess Raquel as well as Queen Sarah. Hadassah however is not required to attend. I'm expecting a few dignitaries from Egypt later this week. As the future king I feel its best a relationship is established." He said.

I could hear the other princes grumble bitterly at the mention of me being next in the line of succession. They felt like an outsider should have no rights to the throne of Xerxes.

"Is there a problem? Is this how we regard Persia's future king?" Benjamin reprimanded them.

Immediately their posture straightened and their murmurs ceased. No one dared to disregard him.

"King Xerxes appointed him as such and I will uphold the law of my forefathers. Any more clamoring among you and your punishment will be swift." He declared and every scribe in the room bared witness.

Soon after he dismissed them but asked me to stay. I obeyed the king.

King Benjamin POV

I honestly don't understand why the princes have an issue with Isaac. Then again they did the same to me when I was a teenager and father left me as reagent. Their jealousy is honestly disgusting. They would kill to have their chance to be king.

"My brother its good to have you home. I'm sure Raquel was pleasantly surprised." I said once we were alone.

"Yeah she was but that's Raquel everyday. She's affectionate." He replied.

"Well I know mother missed you profusely. She was always in the garden praying for you." I said.

"Why isn't she required to meet with the dignitaries?" He inquired.

"She has before with father. Its actually the queen's job to host the banquet. Sarah is more than capable of doing so. She was present when mother hosted the last one." I answered.

"So does Raquel know how to host?" He asked.

"She should as she has attended many of them." I said.

"Okay well if its alright with you I'm going to find my wife and son." He said awaiting my nod of approval.

I descended the stairs as he exited the room. This week has been exhausting. My thoughts were interrupted by Hegai's voice in the hall.

"The queen has been feeling ill lately. She requested your presence in her chambers."He said.

"Is the king aware of this?" The physician asked.

"I'm not sure but I believe so." He replied.

I walked out the doors and saw them turn the corner. Sarah hadn't mentioned this to me earlier. I was in her chambers before I came to court. Why would my wife hide this from me? Did she think I would not care?

I turned down the hall leading to her room and paused outside her door. I could hear the physician's voice beyond them.

"You are in fact pregnant my dear. Four months to be exact. You must tell the king soon. He needs to be aware since there is a banquet approaching." He said sternly.

I couldn't believe what I just heard. I'm going to be a father for the second time. I secretly hoped it was a girl. Our son was nine years old now. No wonder she had been feeling ill. I entered the room much to everyone's surprise.

"I need a moment alone with my wife." I ordered and they quickly dispersed.

"Where you ever going to tell me there was a possible heir in the works?" I inquired.

"My lord its not what you think." She said solemnly.

"Not what I think? I think my wife was keeping things from me." I stated.

"Benjamin I thought it was just a common illness. Hegai suggested to speak with the physician. I just found out that I'm pregnant." She cried.

"Sarah I shouldn't have to overhear that you, my wife is ill. I was with you earlier and you never said a word. Despite how infuriating that is I am ecstatic about the child growing inside you." I said smothering her in kisses.

"Well for that I apologize and I'm glad you are happy." She said then giggled.

"Persia's new heir." I sighed rubbing her stomach.

Hey loves! Sarah's pregnant again, I'm so excited.

-Queen Liv