A Date With The Queen

King Benjamin POV

I woke up this morning feeling like a heel. My wife isn't beside me in bed. She hasn't been in months. In fact she doesn't come to see me unless I have summoned her.

I don't think this is how a kingdom should operate. I sent for Hatach. I need to fix things with Sarah. I really do love her.

"You sent for me your majesty?" He inquired.

"Yes I have a question for you. You remember when mother and father had their falling out months into their marriage correct?" I asked.

"I was around but I don't know what was said or done. I wasn't as close to them as Hegai. Only he would know the dynamic of their marriage intimately." He said and I dismissed him. I needed real answers.

"You have yet to ask the two people involved in the marriage. Your mother and I, Benjamin. No one can tell you better than we can." Xerxes spoke.

Of course my father would jump in at this exact moment. He was right though. I ran down the hall to find my mother. I searched the entire palace and no sign of her. I entered the library to find her reading.

"My son if you seek knowledge on how to fix things with Sarah then I will tell you to prepare a banquet. Explain to her everything. I did so with your father. Everything else is written in his chronicles." She said before leaving me alone.

I pulled out his chronicles and began reading. I knew exactly what to do, a date in the garden. I sent word to Hegai and preparations were made. I also went to Sarah's handmaids to have them lay out her dress from the night I chose her as my wife.

After spending time in court with the princes I retired to my chambers.

Queen Sarah POV

I spent my days in my chambers as always. Benjamin and I have drifted apart. Only approaching him when summoned, not that it was often. We've been married for 4 years and not once have gone without speaking to each other. I prayed and prayed that God would heal us.

Ever since Xerxes died he has become unbearable. I love my husband but I just feel like I'm queen not a wife. Where is the romantic man I knew? How did I let our love die? Is this how I will spend my life? All of these questions swirled around my mind. I was hurting and I couldn't talk to Hadassah about it.

"My queen the king has requested your presence in the garden. We are here to dress you as requested." One of my handmaids spoke.

I nodded in response letting them do as they had said. I looked in the mirror at the dress recognizing it as the one I wore when Benjamin and I met. I smiled at the memory. Once I was dressed I entered my liter. Arriving at the palace steps, I got out walking down them. I smiled at the beautiful scenery. Candles and roses alined the walkway. Approaching my husband I bowed slightly as always.

"My queen please join me." He said stepping aside to let me enter first.

My mouth dropped at the sight before me. He really did all of this for me? I was so stunned tears slipped from my eyes. It was all so beautiful.

Once we were seated I looked across the table at my husband

Once we were seated I looked across the table at my husband. He smiled warmly.

"My love please eat then we can talk." He said.

"Benjamin what is going on?" I asked.

"I have neglected you and this is my way of apologizing. You are more than queen of Persia. You're my wife, you should always come first. Do you forgive me?" He inquired.

Tears spilled over and I couldn't respond. I was overwhelmed by all of this. I arose from my seat and placed my hand over my chest excusing myself. I ran towards the palace and into my chambers locking the doors. I wept hard not from pain but because he finally saw how badly he hurt me.

Soon I heard knocks at my door. I knew it was Hegai. Probably here to announce my husband.

"Sarah, darling please open the door. I didn't mean to upset you."

I sat up straight at Benjamin's voice. He came alone, that was new.

"My lord I wish to be alone." I respond.

"Sarah please." He said.

I didn't respond just continued to lay upon my bed. He kept speaking but I never said a word.

"Sarah sweetheart please let Benjamin into your room. Believe me I understand how he feels. Hadassah once was in the same place as you. Of course I was more stubborn than he is. Marriage isn't perfect and its work. Comprises must be made. One time I thought for sure Hadassah was leaving me. We didn't speak for months. I know Benjamin's heart, he loves you. He just wants to be me so badly. I keep telling him to not follow in my footsteps. I banished Vashti out of anger because I didn't want to hear her out. Granted she was vain but still I never listened. With Hadassah everything she said stuck. I listened even when I didn't want to. She calmed me. You do the same for my son. I hope you both work this out." Xerxes spoke.

I walked to the door unlocking it. Seconds later he walked in with a saddened look upon his face. Embracing me he shed some tears of his own. I held him close not wanting the moment to end.

"Sarah, my queen please forgive me. I am nothing without you my love." He said kissing my cheek.

I sighed in response kissing his lips. The smile that grew upon his face was all I ever wanted to see. He immediately picked me up bridal style and ran out of the room. Giggling like a little girl we entered his chambers. He laid me upon his bed and abruptly left. Moments later he entered followed by Hegai carrying vases of roses. I smiled at my love.

"I forgive you Benjamin but don't ever hurt me like that again." I said.

"I promise my love." He said before leaping onto the bed as Hegai discreetly exited the room. I knew what was coming next and it had been a long time since. I looked up into his face lovingly as pure euphoric bliss took us over.

Finally Benjamin is treating Sarah right again. That's the end of their drama. I think it's time for a new heir to make a debut. Maybe a princess, also next chapter will be about Isaac and Raquel. Until next time............

- Queen Liv